Silly Table Top Question

Page 2 of 2
stoutman wrote:

I think the "proper" way is right to left. The idea is that you don't have the end grain showing on the front.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

More common to have grain run right to left, than back to front. Just like it is more common for a table drawer to open from the front, but I've seen tables where the drawer opens from the side.

For a NG in which helpful advice is usually given freely, you folks have really dropped the ball on this one.
Out of 17 responses, there are 5 for left to right, one for right to left (Vasquez), one for either way (McClure), a few for diagonal and none for front to back.
Stoutman is now going to be more confused than when he first asked the question.
The obvious answer is to cover the table top with a cheap plastic laminate, preferably some garish Wilsonart color like Pumpkin Harvest, and never worry about looking at wood grain ever again.
Go for it, Stoutman, you'll never regret it.
--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse

Not really.

When did I say the top was made of wood?

Not really.

When did I say the top was made of wood?

Sheesh! *NOW* I know how to respond. The answer to "What direction should the grain run?" depends on the grain.
Wheat is best running west to east. Barley is best running east to west. Oats look best running north to south. Corn appears best going south to north. Sorghum's preferred orientation is right to left. For millet, it's left to right. Rice, back to front. and rye, front to back.
*UNLESS* you're running a circular irrigation system, that is. In which case _all_ are best "from the center out".