Sign making with white oak?

I am making a mailbox post from white oak and am considering using a router to create raised letters/numbers on the side of it. Am I going to have a problem with the grain splintering out? I chose white oak for its weather resistance, but I will be painting the post. Should I have chosen another wood or maybe just face the side of it with something else for the lettering? Thanks! Mark
White oak routes beautifully. No worries.