Should I feel bad about this

Page 3 of 4
Jim,
I think I'm going to crawl out on this limb all by my lonesome and cut it off at the trunk.
I have felt the same frustration as you and many others when dealing with some of the folks hired by the mass merchandisers. Mass merchandisers like Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Target, Office Depot...
Yet, I would not feel comfortable taking advantage of an incompetent cashier no matter how lousy her attitude. Not to spite her. Not to teach her to have a better attitude. Not to educate her in the way her employer works.
I think I would have called the manager over and had him teach her that little piece of her job. Maybe to avoid a confrontation in front of other customers, I would have found him after the sale and reviewed what happened. And let him make a business decision how he wanted to handle the under charge.
I find it hard to justify punishing the business because they hired an incompetent attitude. Well, maybe that's just me.
There, I cut the limb off and I'm out here all alone.
But, if I could just find one of the five or more local Home Depots that carried Maple...
Jack
-- When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.
|| something more but she really ticked me off with her know it all attitude | and smart mouth. I was trying to help her and be honest at the same time. So | if this is wrong, shoot me. | | Jim | | | | -- | .... | |
You raise an interesting and valid point somewhat I feel. The conclusion I came to though was they (the store itself) is ultimately responsible for their employees. I think that with just a wee bit more attention to detail things like this wouldn't happen as much as it does. I mean don't you think that if you're going to put a person in a certain position, they should KNOW that position? At the larger stores it just doesn't happen. You have a few and I mean a very few who know what they're doing but the majority of the associates walk around in a daze most of the time and couldn't buy a clue. What's really really funny to me is that several winters back when things were real slow around the shop I thought of doing some part time work at the Borg. Went through the whole screening process and ya know what? I was told I needed more experience. I was applying for the tool department........I can safely say there isn't a single tool in the tool corral at Home Depot that I don't own already or have at least used a few thousand times over the last 20 years. The next week I went in there and "Megan" was working the tools. I asked "Megan" where I could find countersink bits and she tried to send me to kitchen cabinets...........This is really funny now..........
Jim

Jim, Have you ever heard of the 'Peter Principle' ? Roughly, it's about people rising to their highest level of IN-competence.
In your case it was because you HAD experience . . . you were 'over-qualified'. Because it is either illegal {or should be} to say that, or because prior utterances of this STUPID statement have really pissed people off, they use a more legally defensible excuse.
It is also the reason I made a previous comment on this thread . . . What makes anyone think the 'average' Manager has any better 'handle' or knowledge of of the specific products? They 'manage' the 'location'. It could sell 'Bread' or 'Bombs' . . . it is all simply 'Product X'.
The 'Professional' aspect ?? Take a look at the 'Pro Desk' sometime . . . also what the 'Pro's' wheel out the door. Carts loaded with 'sheathing grade' plywood & OSB, 'stud grade' 2x4's, sheets of 'Drywall', buckets of drywall 'mud', boxes of nails & 'drywall screws', lengths of copper & pvc pipe, etc. The 'simple & standard' items. Those that usually go behind a wall, or make up that wall. The most 'idiot proof' of items.

You have some valid points. But I would offer the following counter- point. The OP was buying this material for a client and a job he was performing for that client. Now, one would assume that his time also has value (not to say that if I was going in for something for a weekend project, my time would not be valuable either, it would just be harder to place a $ amount on that time). The action you are counseling would require that the OP expend additional (perhaps billable time) in dealing with what should, by all rights, be an assumed competency of the business with which we was dealing. So, either the OP was going to have to "take himself off the clock" so to speak, or he was going to be expending his client's money to spend additional time in finishing his purchase or afterwards so that HD could then educate its supposedly already trained employee. Having attempted to deal with "customer service" following a sale, this could have resulted in a significant expenditure of time.
The OP did his due diligence in informing the cashier of the correct pricing for the material. The attitude he encountered was definitely a problem, and a quick word to the manager might have been in order if that did not result in significant additional time wasted.

Is it a Maple tree?
Steve
Jack, I'm on that limb with you. I'm surprised people think getting something undeserved isn't wrong. Clerk's error, stocker's error, cash register programming error, no matter. It's not what the stuff is supposed to cost and the buyer knows it. But, then again, I've found people can justify just about any damned thing they wish with very little effort.
Dennis Vogel

Dennis, Just so I understand you right, are you saying that you would have stood there and took the smartass kids attitude AND on top of that took your own time to educate her and show her the error of her ways and to explain this to her? Or could it be you would have just thrown your hands up too. Keep in mind I DID make an effort to correct her and was snapped at in a very condescending way for it. So screw the little twerp. That how I justify it.
Jim

First of all, it's not the "twerp" who's getting screwed. It's the company, which is to say the shareholders. You might be one. HD is in a lot of mutual funds.
I would have gone to the manager as someone else suggested. It's clear the clerk didn't know what you were talking about. There's nothing else you could have done with her. Sure it would have taken some effort. But it would have been the right thing to do. Do you disagree? Do you were think you were "right" in the fullest sense of the word?
Dennis Vogel

In a perfect world, where the big corporations actually care about their customers and/or employees, it would be fair to expect that we care about them. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in today.
Since the corporate greed of the past decade, turning employees into disposable commodities and treating customers like dirt with insane policies, is it fair to expect me to still treat the corporation with respect?
I think not. They are just reaping what they've sown. I would have done exactly as the original poster did. Point out the error, then drop it when the cashier's attitude came up.
Think about it. If the BORG really cared about you, would they have 10 closed checkouts, and only one or two opened with a long line of customers waiting? They're just saying that your time is worthless, and their lowered payroll is more important.
email to snipped-for-privacy@notreal-ruybal.com (remove the "notreal-")

So you're saying that because the corps are doing something wrong so that justifies you doing something wrong as well?

They care about you. They're doing exactly what you've asked them to do: give you lower and lower prices on thousands of items. As you know, labor is their biggest cost so of course they're going to hire as few, low educated clerks as possible so we all can get what we demand. Why are we surprised when they do?
Dennis Vogel
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:58:39 -0500, "Dennis Vogel"

Hey, that's capitalism in action. I wouldn't do it in my local toolshops, I argue with one of my favourite timber suppliers to take more money (I'm afraid the guy will starve !), but Borgs are fair game for any blatant exploitation that they leave themselves open to. They're not people, they're stock exchange listings.

And who do you think owns that stock? I know you know it's people like you and me. And cheating a corporation isn't any definition of capitalism I've ever heard of.
Dennis Vogel
I'm guessing you are owning some of the stock. Am I right?
Dave
--

"Dennis Vogel" wrote

> And who do you think owns that stock? I know you know
None that I know of. Would that have mattered in determining right from wrong? That is what we're talking about in this thread, isn't it?
Dennis Vogel

Dennis, Have you ever spent an hour or so of YOUR OWN time educating/explaining to a clerk AND 'Manager' about a blatant error, that was costing THEM money ? Then going back to the store about a day later, then a week later . . . and seeing the SAME thing going on ?!?!
THEY DON'T care one wit. Plus it's 'like trying to teach a pig to fly . . . it wastes your time and annoys the pig'
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

No, I haven't. But did it really take you an hour to explain the problem to the store manager? Somehow I doubt it. You're exaggerating to make a point. I do think I would have taken some time to explain and I'd be surprised if the manager couldn't be made to understand. After all, the lumber or the rack was marked in some way that explained the pricing. How is it that the manager couldn't understand what it meant?
Dennis Vogel

Denis, In his case I'm NOT exaggerating. Between getting the 'Customer Service' people {that is where the Manager's 'cubicle' is}to contact the manager, explaining the situation, showing him the 'ticket info', having him 'check the log', then the computer, getting the 'cashier' and explaining the whole situation AGAIN, it probably took MORE than an hour. While it was a little frustration, I felt good about doing something 'positive' rather than just 'bitching' under my breath. The 'Manager' thanked me, and said he would correct the error right away.
You can imagine how stupid I felt when I was in that store again a few days later and say the SAME 'shelf ticket', with the same error . . . completely unchanged. Whether the manager & clerk understood or not is completely immaterial . . . they JUST DIDN'T CARE.
I don't know if this is a 'they-don't-pay-me-enough-to-care' situation or they simply don't hire people who have pride in themselves, and care to do a job well - no matter what it is. It no longer matters. Now I just shrug my shoulders, shake my head, and walk out the door. Sometimes I even mumble, "What a Maroon".

snipped-for-privacy@patNOSPAMmedia.net says...

Let's say someone like the original poster's time, including labor, benefits, and overhead is on the order of $1 per minute (that is not out of line for a skilled craftsman or laborer). How much of that person's billable time should be spent in resolving another business's problems?

How much of that person's billable time should be spent in resolving another business's problems?
so whay you're saying is it's that merchant's responsibility to insure your profitability and not yours for seeking out a merchant that doesn't waste your time?

I can see why you are confused, seeing as you snipped all the context from around my statement.
It appears that what you are saying that it is up to the OP to reduce his profitability (or bill his client for time spent) seeking out a Home Depot manager to explaining the situation in which the original poster was improperly charged too little and in which the OP was snapped at by the cashier when he pointed out the error to the cashier. The OP would need to spend additional time (either his or his clients, depending upon whether he was going to remain on the clock or take himself off the clock) resolving the situation that the merchant (Home Depot) had caused through its own errors and improper training of its employees. i.e., turning things around, you are saying it is up to the original poster and either his business or the clients he is billing to assure Home Depot's profitability.