Should I feel bad about this

Page 1 of 4
Today I went to the Borg to pick up some maple for a job Im doing for a customer. They're paying and insisted on getting the wood there instead of my supplier because they "have an account". Anyway I load up about 20 1x3x10's, 12 1x6x8's, all maple, and some 1x4x8 pine boards for another project altogether. Anyway as you may or may not know, maple at the borg is sold by the lineal foot, @ $1.25 to $2.57 depending on width of course. So I get to the checkout and the girl says "wheres the sku on these boards" and I turned one over and she scanned it. It came up $1.25 on the 1x3 and she said "how many of those you have there?" I tell her I have 20 but that I believe she scanned the lineal foot price since thats how its sold and that the total wouldnt be correct. She snaps back at me "well sir, whatever comes up when I scan it is what its sold for!" Smartass kid. Anyway I say fine sweetheart. After ringing up all the other maple boards the same way I pay the nice smartass kid and out the door I go. Bottom line was 20 boards @ $1.25 each and the 1x6x8 I got for $2.57 each. I know I could have said something more but she really ticked me off with her know it all attitude and smart mouth. I was trying to help her and be honest at the same time. So if this is wrong, shoot me.
Jim
-- ....

So
What you should do now is go to the other Borg and have them price match less the 10%.
Hey, why were you giving the kid a hard time? They have been trained and know what they are doing as a professional.
I gave up trying to educate the cashiers. I often buy a fancy Asiago cheese bagel at the local supermarket. They have special bags for them right in the tray. The bag is printed with the SKU number for 1 - 5 bagels and another for 6 or more. They ask me what is in the bag, I tell them exactly and I'm sure to mention it is the Sourdough bagels. At least 50% of the time they charge me for the generic 30 ones. They can't read, they don't listen and I've even brought it to the attention of the manager. So I don't feel guilty about it. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

We have a major supplier who invoices us somewhere between $30K and $90K a week (for printing). A year ago we were fed up with the number and frequency of errors on their invoices, and I told them that from that point forward we were going to ask ourselves "Are we prepared to pay this invoice?" and not "Is this invoice correct?"
In 2003 we caught $3700 in overcharges on their invoices and corrected those.
$6700 in undercharges we accepted.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
IMO you pointed out the error so your conscience is clean. It's really hard to meaningfully interact with people who know everything. <g>
However, I recommend you call the manager. They need a better training program or flat better people running the registers.
$0.02.
-- Mark
And what makes you think the manager will be any better or know more ?
I went that route at least twice . . . then gave up. Now, if they try to over-charge at the register, I simply point it out, if the cashier has the 'bad attitude' I just leave the product there. If it is an under-charge, I point it out . . . same attitude and I walk out with a 'windfall'.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {"No, we don't carry that" . . . "Then, if I find it does it mean I get it for FREE because it doesn't really exist ?"}
SNIP

You did your best to correct her. You should sleep soundly tonight, under the circumstances. The problem lies squarely with HD not training their employee.
dave
James D Kountz wrote:

I do feel better having thought it through. Problem is now the little devil onmy shoulder is telling me to go back and get more maple!! LOL
Jim

attitude
time. So

And where is this store and what's the checkers name ? <grin> Puff

He Would. Tony D.

devil
Bay Area Dave wrote:

And sleep with a big smile.
Now the conundrum: Do you charge your customer what you DID pay or what you SHOULD HAVE paid?
What will you charge the customer??

--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
James -
You're clean on this - call the manager if you want, but I'd go back and get more...
Think of how many times Home Depot has pissed you off, and the deal today will be a drop in the bucket.
Heck, knowing you got that deal makes ME feel better.
HTH
John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

So
"Ya pays peanuts, ya gets monkeys"
Jim, no don't feel bad. You tried to point out her error. But NOOO, _she_ knew better. And you did not exploit the situation by saying, "Well if that is the price, just a second, I guess I need to fill my truck up."
If the borgs insist on hiring the marginally qualified, not giving them enough training and supervision, this is exactly what they end up with.
I gave up years ago trying to correct the checker at the borgs and the other big box types. I will point the error out once and let it ride from there. Those MBA's at the home office developed the current recipe and as they are MBA's, they do know it all. I love going into the new Super-Wal-Mart's, Targets etc. and seeing 30-48 check out aisles, all equipped with the latest & greatest in scanning technology...as I wait in a long line at one of the 3-6 lanes that are open. Have you _ever_ figured that one out? BTW, I refuse to use the new "self check-outs". I'd rather wait in line than put 3 more checkers out of work.
Love to go to the local ACE Hardware, where I am greeted with a smile from ALL the help. _Both_ the check out counters are manned at all times. The help, many of whom are retirees and know what _I'm_ talking about, are knowledgeable and polite. And if I bring in a part or some hardware I need more of, I can show them and they promptly lead me to the right bin and dig some out for me. At the borg, _if_ I can find someone to ask, they look at my part like it was a moon rock or something from MARS. Then I'm told, "Hey man, I'm just filling in over here 'cus, like Jeremy's on break. I'm from flooring and to tell you the truth, I've never seen _anything_ like that, DUDE!!! What did you say that was?" (KREG pocket screw)
You've ALL been there, right?
DexAZ

So
Yea, Or like the older wise ass guy in electrical, when I was rewiring a lamp, I wanted a polarized plug, Came back with a know it all wise ass answer, "that it didn't matter" It will work plugged in either way. Tony D.

Anthony Diodati wrote:

That wouldn't be at the St. Pete. HD store would it? They have one serious old wise ass in the electrical dept. My wife really chewed him a new ass. It was great!
John wrote:

We have an old wise ass in the electrical department at the local Lowe's too. He used to be an executive for IBM or something, and he's bitter as hell. He feels compelled to tell everyone about it whenever they linger too long on his aisle.
No, Pittsburgh Airport area,Home depot in "The Point" Tony

serious
ass.
Does anyone remember when HD first started catching on and expanding, their claim to fame was that they employed ex-contractors and tradesmen(women), so anyone working in flooring, paint,etc was an 'expert' in their particular department??? I guess those days are long gone.                         Mark
DexAZ wrote:

Yup! And I used to have to drive 30 miles to get to one. Now they are all over the place and friggin useless!
Jerry

That's a good one. Shop at WalMart, who is putting companies out of business by the low cost they demand from their suppliers, then worry about a few cashiers. Brilliant!
Dennis Vogel
the question shouldn't be what do we think for that is a poor standard to hold yourself to...what do you think?