Shopmaster all-in-one tool

I saw a demo of a "Shopmaster" sometime last year at the local big-box home-improvement store, but cannot for the life of me find it on the internet. Apparently Delta now uses the trademark and others also use it. But, no one has this tool... It consists of drill press, table saw, router, can add a bandsaw and a scrollsaw? and a bunch of other stuff. If you know who the current manufacturer is, I would appreciate a note here.

Reply to
Michael Austin

Are you sure you are not thinking of the Shopsmith ?

Reply to
marks542004

Shopsmith is the name. Plenty of used ones for sale if you look around. They are not as versatile as it looks as you spend a lot of time setting up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mon, Feb 5, 2007, 4:06am (EST+5): snipped-for-privacy@firstdbasource.com (Michael=A0Austin) doth claimeth: I saw a demo of a "Shopmaster"

You sure it wasn't a Shopsmith?

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

screwdrivers."

Reply to
CW

"Shopmaster" is Delta's brand name for their low end line.

If there was a "shop" in the name and it allowed a bandsaw to be added then it was almost certainly a Shop_Smith_, .

If you are very tight on space it can be a good solution. Otherwise, it's not all that cheap and the setup time's a bitch.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Shopsmith

has been doing demos at Lowes in various places for the last couple of years. I assume that is what you are thinking of. I like mine, but they are damned pricey new. I wouldn't really suggest a used one to someone so unfamiliar with the concept that you don't recognize the name, but there are lots of used Mark V Shopsmiths on the market from the 1952 models to the current production. There are even lots of older models (the 10 E's and

10ER's) and a few Mark IIs and Mark VIIs. Stick with the Mark Vs as you can get parts for any model year Mark V from the Shopsmith factory.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Mon, Feb 5, 2007, 4:54am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) doth sayeth: They are not as versatile as it looks as you spend a lot of time setting up.

If you're really limited as to space tho, they're hard to beat. I never found the setup time an issue - but the fact that I had to changeover every time I wanted to do another task got to be a real irritation.

Of course, if I didn't have room for anything else, the luxury of having a Shopsmith would completely overshadow the changover issue. Having something is a lot better than having nothing. It's a nice machine, if I had the space, I'd like to have another, along with my stand-alone tools.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

At the big box store, Lowes, it was most likely the Shopsmith. But there is a Shopmaster tool too that works similar to the Shopsmith, but is more metal/machie shop looking. I've seen pictures of it in the back advertising pages of the monthly woodworking magazines for the past 15 years. Might not be Shopmaster but something similar. Look through the back black and white advertising in the woodworking magazines. It always had a picture of the machine. Might have to find some older magazines and look at their advertising in the back pages. Fine Woodworking in particular.

Reply to
russellseaton1

You couldn't be thinking of this machine, could you?

Lee Gordon

Woodmaster was a Shopsmith clone, maybe that was it?

MikeB

Reply to
MikeB

I've had my Mk V since 1975 and it is a rugged machine with the limitations already mentioned. I could never afford the add-on accessories and used it for small projects as well as home repair. There's a local old gent who turns out some pretty nice hutches with his and he only has the add-on bandsaw. So, it's all in the skill of the craftsman mor than the machine alone. Although I've recently graduated to single purpose tools because I'm old enough to afford them, I still hold onto my SS which I use as a disc sander, a lathe and a drill press. It works well for all of those. The biggest fault I've encounterd, aside from the too-small table, is that the table had too much flex for the mortising chisel-drill attachemt and did a great deal of moving while attempting this type of joinerey.

Reply to
C & E

Reply to
Doug Brown

Now that I finally had a minute to check back here... the machine I was thinking of was indeed the Shopsmith. However, after re-evaluating the need against the functionality and the cost, I may be looking in another direction.

Thanks to all for the responses!!!

Reply to
Michael Austin

Mon, Feb 12, 2007, 1:52am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@firstdbasource.com (Michael=A0Austin) doth 'fess up: Now that I finally had a minute to check back here... the machine I was thinking of was indeed the Shopsmith. However, after re-evaluating the need against the functionality and the cost, I may be looking in another direction.

Cost isn't that much of a factor if you shop for a used one. I got one complete with a bandsaw and jointer, all for $800. In great condition. Painted it yellow, and sold it a years or so later for a slight profit. Fine machine. Wish I still had it, but needed the money at the time. I figure the profit was because it had been painted yellow.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T