Shop progress

I left off with waiting on delivery of trusses, they were 2 weeks out, more about this later.
U-blocks and one lintel over wide door in side was poured without difficulty. In an attempt to save money and labor, I attempted to move lintel form from there to end wall door an managed to knock down part of the end wall with the backhoe.
Luther (head pomerainian in charge) growled at me, piassed on foot an trotted back to the house, we're back on speaking terms, but only because of the dogfood supply.
After a little sulking, I cleaned the mess up and considered calling the mason I have worked with for years to get him to do the repairs, pride stepped in and I decided I wasn't up for the relentless ribbing.
Relaid the 50 some odd blocks myself and managed to pour the last lintel without further problems.
Lintels were poured with a 7k concrete mix with a very hard copper slag aggregate, this turns out to be a bit of a problem. Had to drill 4 holes through lintel to bolt trusses and wore out 4 bosch hammerdrill bits in the process. The hole drilling could have been avoided by casting pipe pieces through the form, but I still don't have trusses on hand and there is no guessing where the holes will need to be.
Two week delivery on trusses turned into three, finally got delivery and they are wrong, width is off by 11 1/2 inches, the manufacturer was clearly in the wrong and to their credit didn't give me any grief about fixing the width. Leads to another week delay.
There was a number of problems with theses trusses, the purlin tabs are drilled/punched randomly, sigh... no predrilling of purlins. Plus they are bowed badly, it took a great deal of time to get everything plumb and square. These were made by a local company, picked from several available, I going to try elsewhere if I need anymore trusses in the future.
At this point, I have both gable ends framed and all the purlins up except for 20 pieces on one end, sheet metal is on hand (26ga galvalume) and roofing will begin this weekend.
All in all not bad progress for an old fart working mostly alone, and the slowness has allowed incoming funds to better match expenditures.
Looks like at this point that I am going to come in at a few cents over 10 bucks a square foot, that will include roll up doors, man doors, paint, basic wiring and lights. Not bad.
Only design flaw uncovered so far is the width of the roll up door opening in the side wall, I made it the same width as the truss spacing leaving nowhere for the door to roll up into. I'll have to shim the sides of the door with 6x6 to allow room for the door mechanism. No biggie, but aggravating as I had all the information at hand but didn't see the problem until too late.
basilisk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
basilisk wrote:

Snip 8><
Reminds me of my dad. When he arrived with his first tractor, a John Deere with the long axles sticking out, I ran and opened the gate. Forgetting the axle, he demolished the gate in going through. It was a big wooden gate and instantly became kindling.
--
G.W. Ross

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.