Shop insulation question

I have a small but dedicated 20x24 shop I built last year. For various rea$ons I never got around to insulating the attic before winter and ran the heck out of some electic heaters as a result.
I now have the time & funds to devote to insulating the attic (my celing is closed btw). I have R13 in the walls. My question is, will insulating make much of a difference with R19 or R30 up there this winter? Also, will it keep it cooler in the summer as well? I ask because SWMBO is duibious that insulation will be worthwhile. There are 2 large gable vents and soffit vents along the sides.
I live in the mid-south (Memphis) as a point of location reference.
Cheers! Duke
Absolutely will help. Most of your heat goes up through your ceiling/roof. Much more than out the walls. R-30 isn't too much for your area. It will also keep it much cooler in the summer. Attics get HOT, around 150 degrees on a sunny summer day here in Arkansas. That heat radiates down. Insulation will keep most of that out. Mike in Arkansas
On 22 Nov 2004 18:20:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JMWEBER987) wrote:

Also a small ceiling fan, blowing upward, that recirculates the hot air from the ceiling back to the floor (I keep mine on very slow speed) does a great job eliminating hot spots and keeps the heat where you need it. In the summer the rotation direction is reversed and the speed goes up depending on temp...
TWS - Chapel Hill, NC
I live in the Knoxville area and have a 24X28 building. Insulated it this summer with R13 in the walls and R19 in the ceiling. Can tell a big difference already. As Mike said, R30 wouldn't be too much either.
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:53:48 -0600, "Dukester"

Here is a link to a page where they offer a government calculator for insulation needs: http://homerepair.about.com/b/a/2003_12_05.htm I have not used this.
For more ideas, here is a google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=insulation+calculator

the
is
make
that
It will make a HUGE difference. R30 as a minimum if you experience real winter weather - snow and cold type stuff. R40 won't hurt one bit. Much more than that and you discover that thing called the point of diminishing returns. I'm not really sure what's recommended in your part of the world. Any good building supply store should be able to tell you. You may find that R30 is what's recommended for you. It's good that you have gable vents. That's what allows the hot air to escape somewhat and it's what keeps heat loss from melting snow into icicles - though that's not much of a problem in Memphis.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

In summer, you would benefit from a gable blower. The ridge vent is good, but nowhere near all you can use. Gable fans are cheap and come with a thermostat, which you set for 100-110 or so. Wilson

the
is
make
that

Of c ourse it will. Unless you live on a tropical island with good tradewinds, insulation is one of the best investments you can make. You get paid back many times over.

Yes, it INSULATES you from the heat building in the attic. Be sure it is well vented.

Please tell her 1955 is gone and heating oil is over 15 a gallon these days.