Shop Full of Project.

I've got a small shop (2 1/2 car garage...no cars allowed). In this small space, I've built tables, kitchen cabinets, tons of bookshelves and a pretty big assortment of odds and ends. It sometimes takes a little creativity , but it always has worked out. Even at it's fullest, I've found place for more.
When my boss commissioned me to put a little something together for him, I jumped at the chance. After all, it's January, cold and work is traditionally slow this time of year. Well, this project has taxed my space limitations.
"Come up with a Carriage House Door and display that we can set up at the local home shows. Make it portable, safe and easy to set up. Sometimes, we'll want the door to go up and down, other times it'll just be a static display. The whole thing can only be 8' wide. Oh and sometimes we'll want to display entry doors and windows. First show is in 4 weeks."
So, working part-time (between spurts of heavy day job work) it's all coming together. It all leaves in the morning on it's way to it's first showing. The scary part is this will be the first time it's been in an area big enough to be fully assembled.
It's been fun but I'll sure be glad to get my shop back. I've been afraid to eat a Twinky. If I were to gain an ounce there's no way I could fit into the shop!
Some photo's and other details can be found at:
http://woodworks.laminger.com/door.htm
--
Larry G. Laminger
http://woodworks.laminger.com
Larry Laminger wrote:

space with a freezer and two exercise machines. Plus there is a door in each of the 4 walls so one one wall can be completely used.
-- Mark
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:41:02 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

I win. My shop might be a one-car garage when it grows up, but right now it's 12X16. It's all in how ya 'range things. I think I could probably fit an executive nine-hole par 27 in your basement. ;>
Btw, I've found "exercise" machines take up a LOT less room if I position them exactly halfway between the dumpsters at the recycling center. :)
Michael

Hah! Not even close, Buckwheat. Yes, I did say Buckwheat. Here's my *shop*:
http://www.klownhammer.org/cathouse/underthelights.jpg
And before we get too far afield in this thread - there's always the following: http://tinyurl.com/35tzd
O'Deen
On 30 Jan 2004 09:34:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:

Ha! HaHAA!! You have a _real_ bench. And LIGHTING. And... and stuff!!!
I, on the other hand, have to EARN my way around wooddorking. I have to put off "lights" until summer when I can crutch my way around the grassy strip between the freight cars hoping to mayonnaise-jar some lightening bugs so they can cast their glow over the broken-legged ironing board _I_ have to do my woodworking on.
And what's THAT? Is that a plane I see? And vices? I has to use a old '59 Michigan licence plate ( <--- Didja notice the drive-by? <--- See *1) I sharpen on the cement landing next to the #8 Railroad Siding when I need a plane!
Oh, and btw, _Nice_ vices there sissyboy. I have to use a couple of tire jacks I got outta some sprung-open trunks down at the Au-Tow Dump to clamp my pallet wood between. Some guys... got it too easy.
I'd write more, but I can't until I feed the chickens. (See http://www.mystique.net/amish.html )

O'Bagli
*1) If you have to use a licence plate for a plane, it pays to search for one from the Motor City state. The prisoners there, (rightly or wrongly), take PRIDE in their cars, and use heavier duty metalstuffs to make their plates. Avoid, at all costs, plates from... like... Idaho and Korea, where either the salt from the winters corrodes them too badly or they're dented beyond repair 'cause on account of like driving while Oriental. They're a bitch to straighten out especially when all you got is the TireJack Vice System <tm me> and they don't keep an "edge." DAMHIKT.
You didn't notice the fancy schmancy outdoor shaving/mulch converter in the lower left of the pic? Shameless display of wealth, we have to crush them up with rocks. And pots for his plants - luxury! Holes in the ground is all we can afford.
Groggy from the third whirled
BTW, what are license plates?

Yeah, I noticed. But I couldn't concentrate on it because I got all fixated on what's up with the random shotgun pattern of board jack peg holes over the right leg. Man, they're like _microns_ away from each other. I can't help it-- trying to imagine what the _problem_ was that caused _that_ to be the solution. :)
"I need a board jack.... and a beer." <Drill fx> VVVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrr... </Drill fx>
"Damn! I need this board jack 3 millllllllimeters higher....and another beer." <Mo' drill fx> VVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrr... </Mo' fx>
"Sh*t!!! Too high! 1 milllimeter LOWER! Where's my beer?" <Still mo' fx> VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvvvrrrrr... </Still mo' fx>
"Damn!" ...etc., etc., etc. A maniacal O'Deen goes berserk with the Hammuhdrill.
You get the picture. I have a strange imagination.
(But even so, dat's a lotta holes. Ya just gotta _know_ there's a story there.)
I do this a lot when looking at pictures on ABPW. I really shouldn't be allowed over there without adult supervision and some serious meds. Some justifiably proud guy will be showing off his life's-work took-him-hundreds-of-hours Chippendale Highboy, and I'll be fixating on the kitty litter and the Costco sized case of PEZ <tm PEZ> three shelves up the wall. :)
Michael OBWW: I poly'd the workshop floor today. I'm blaming all this on the fumes.
month ago:

They weren't random. Take a close gander at the guide-rod/vise screw pattern on that euro-style wooddorker vise:
http://www.klownhammer.org/proto-bench/part3/bench2.jpg
Now look again at the seemingly random board jack holes:
http://www.klownhammer.org/proto-bench/part3/bench1.jpg
Any similarities? What you first thought was random, were the botched attempts at boring the guide-rod/lead-screw holes for the vise. The holes were executed perfectly, however there was a basic requirements problem. The first attempt was executed based on the vise hardware being installed backwards. The second attempt was executed based on the proper orientation of the vise hardware, but marked on the wrong side of the apron, resulting in two perfectly bored sets of holes, which unfortunately did not the basic requirement of matching the vise jaw.
These holes were all carefully bored by hand, using a 10" brace and bit. The operator of the brace and bit was a bit tired by the time he got to that last set of holes, and to put it plainly - couldn't think for shit. Alcohol was not immediately involved, althought it did serve to take the edge off things once the third and final set of clearance holes were bored (in the apron and wooden jaw).
The shotgun pattern of mistakes was left because the operator was too broke and too tired to go back to the home center and purchase a nice new 4x6 apron blank. They also serve as a harmless reminder of my human imperfection. On a not unrelated subject, I had the occasion to bore a hole to house a holdfast, and there was just enough wood to manage it.
I'm sure I would have done better were I to have had a cabinet saw sitting nearby to serve as inspiration. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
O'Deen
On 1 Mar 2004 19:14:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:

This is the little seen intersection of Brownian Motion with Chaos Theory.
Certain medications will ameliorate this effect.
If taken in appropriate dosages.
On a Friday.
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
On 1 Mar 2004 19:14:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) brought forth from the murky depths:

Um, Ouch! Too much ale, wot?

I can imagine. What takes a 10" bit, anyway? And where on Earth did you find one?
But since you were tired (big dude like yourself), you prolly should have whipped out that auger bit file _before_ doing the job.

That's a nice bit of jaw there.

I have similar markings (chipped laminate) around one edge (4") of the kitchen sink, Paddy. They ruined the first countertop, I did the second. <sigh>

Well, at least you don't have to work on 2-piece Workmutts any more, eh?
.-. Better Living Through Denial --- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Looks like a workbench in the middle of a maryjowanna field!!!???!!!???
Patrick Olguin wrote:

it is California after all....

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Looks OK, but I thought it rained in California? Seems like that might be a tad rough on workbench tops.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:23:08 -0600, Larry Laminger

You'd burn off a full box of Twinkies just moving that thing.

Good job! It's good that it was a commissioned thing.
---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e) http://www.diversify.com Web Database Development ======================================================

Would you believe 5x8 usable, in a 9x12 room shared w/ 4 sets of utility shelving, 5 file-cabinets plus some other clutter.