Shepherd crook

Page 2 of 2
Wed, Oct 4, 2006, 8:30pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@mtavirgin.net (TimW) doth burbeleth: I looked it up in a book <snip> Laminating is not a traditional method and would be comparitively laborious. <snip> Heat to bend the hook of a walking stick. Growing ash saplings with weights and formers to make them grow the right shape. And particularly for larger crooks - you find a long thin branch growing from a much thicker one, and cut out from the tree the whole piece, so that you have a shape a bit like an enormous tobacco pipe. From the 'bowl' of the pipe you saw and then whittle and carve the hook of the crook. Ask me if I am not making it clear
Wow. OK, laminating isn't traditional, so? But I don't see it as laborious, only a bit time consuming.
Using heat sounds like you're going to go thru a lot of sticks practicing before you get it right.
Growing ash saplings with weights and formers to make them grow the right shape? Now that laborious, and not only that, very time consuming.
And lastly: "find a long thin branch growing from a much thicker one, etc., etc., etc.". I've got a bit over an acre, pretty thick with trees. I don't see any out there that meets that standard. And even if one did I'm damned if I'd let anyone chop up one of my trees for it. Sounds pretty labor intense too.
You'll have to get your answer on how clear you were from the OP. Me, first choice would be not to have goats; second, make a first class BBQ cooker; three, shoot the goats; four, have a large BBQ; five, laminate a crook. I think that's the right order.