Sharpening steel drill bits

How do you guys sharpen steel drill bits? Thanks, Ken
Ken,
There are many ways but you can either use a sharpening stone (I find Diamond Sharpening stones useful for this - see our new review at www.onlinetoolreviews.com)
or there are special drill bit sharpening machines you can buy for this purpose. "The Drill Doctor" is a common machine that springs to mind.
The important part about sharpening drill bits is to keep the cutting angles on the tip uniform. About 18 degrees off memory for twist drill bits (but don't quote me on that - very tired right now!)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence - Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser - BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System - Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench ------------------------------------------------------------

59 degrees per side or 118 included angle. General measuring tools sell drill bit grinding gauges for a few buck bucks. Make sure u you get the point centerd and take your time. I sat dowm one night with a shoe box full of bits to sharpen. I blew the first 10 or so but learned fast.. Some people can do it and some can't ever seem to get it. Maybe try a drill Doctor.They are sell for cheap now

Drill Doctor. Cheap, easy, fast, simple, etc.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:41:47 -0700, "Glen"

Ken, There are all sorts of drill bit types, each of which require some special consideration. You probably have twist drill bits, which are quite common. Sharpening these can be done by hand, using a jig with your grinder, Drill Dr., etc. I would suggest either of the latter two since there are some angles that you should get fairly accurately. As to Forstner, spade, brad point, auger, shell auger, ... buy a book. One that seems pretty complete is "The Complete Guide to Sharpening" by Leonard Lee. He covers grinders, jigs, and other equipment plus sharpening equipment.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Ken wrote:

It can be done and described in detail in a few good sharpening books, but I just replace them because the cost is so low. I am surprised that some woodworkers do the same for router bits which can be expensive.
But your drill bit doesn't fly apart at 20,000 rpm when it becomes unbalanced because you ground off a little more on one side than the other. Just a thought...
Clint

Teenut (Robert Bastow, may he RIP) made a classic post on freehand twist drill sharpening in r.c.metalworking. Here is a link:
<http://www.google.com/groups?safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_umsgid8019998.6B5F86DC%40home.com&lr=&hl=en
Teenut often made very good posts.
Bob S

No doubt the method works but I'd have it done with the Drill Dr. before I finished reading the post. Based on past attempts more accurately too.

I don't have a drill doctor, never seen one, and it would probably take me six months to get one even if I could find a company that would export one, by ordinary airmail, without insisting on using a courier service and charging me 60 for postage. I found it a very good post and will definitly give the method a try, considering my current method is more like "stab it and see what happens".
Chris
I have been sharpening my metal twist dril bits by freehand on my bench grinder for the past couple of years. If the dril doesn,t work the first time round I just try again. As time goes by I seem to have fewer second trips. Can't recall having to make more tha three trips to the bench grinder.
Regards George SA