Semi-OT: Satisfied with your health care?

Page 2 of 5

Maybe it did not work for drug companies, I can accept that! But, how about politicians (Democrats/Republicans), Banks, Insurances, Hospitals, Lawyers etc.

HeyBub wrote:

The rest of the story being that they set free the lion of fire, but first blinded it in one eye. That's the part that some folks forget, that self-interest cannot be allowed unchecked freedom, it must be restrained by law or we might as well be living in a jungle.
Or as another wise person once said, "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness." And a lot of people think greed is the way to happiness, they sure do. Bernie Madoff will probably be reflecting on that for some years to come.
DGDevin wrote:

Actually, it's worse than that. Insurance companies, and this includes government programs like MediCare and MediCal, will only pay 10% of the cost of a procedure. If someone needs an MRI and it costs $200 to perform, the hospital absorbs 80% of the cost and insurance picks up 20%. Hospitals learned that if they wanted to get reimbursed, they had to raise the price of the procedure to $2000, that way they got the $200 that it actually cost. This hurts the uninsured because legally, the hospital cannot charge different rates, therefore the uninsured are paying $2000 for a $200 procedure that shouldn't cost that much, if not for the screwed up way the insurance industry works.

Right on brother!
I've also found that hospital emergency rooms give a 50% discount for cash payment at the time of treatment. What does that tell you?
Lowell Holmes wrote:

It tells you they're making money. We hear a lot of complaining about the uninsured using up the valuable resources of emergency rooms. If this is a problem, why don't the hospitals open clinics next door to the emergency rooms for snot-dripping infants, broken toes, and non-critical care?
I once worked in a hospital's computer room, located under the Life Flight helicopter's nest. The air ambulance was forever coming and going. One of the administrators told me: "We lose $5,000 every time the helicopter takes off -- but we make it up in the emergency room." (This was back when $5,000 was a lot of money.)
Ed wrote:

Yeah, it's worked out SO well for Great Britain and many other of those countries the OP touted are either on the same verge of bankruptcy in their systems, taxing the snot out their citizens, or (more frighteningly) rationing care and planning on more rationing.
The One has already alluded to age-based means tests when he was asked about how one woman's mother with a tremendous love of life and great spirit at 100 was given a pacemaker to help keep her quality of life. The One made the absolutely cold (not cool, but *cold*) statement, "Uh, well, umm, I think "spirit" is a pretty subjective thing and we won't be able to do that under my plan"
Cold, calculating, and scary. Many of you rec.ww denizens are reaching ages that are going to fall into the "not of value to society" category.

This is indeed scary. It is also scary that (on average) an exceedingly high percentage of one's lifetime healthcare costs are expended in the last year of life. And that a lot of those costs do hardly anything to prolong life, let alone quality life.
I do know how difficult choices that need to be made are, believe me. But what of chemotherapy to prolong life with a few months, considering the agony that at least some go through with the treatment?
As I said, difficult choices. Be sure you have them written out in the appropriate form, so your doctors and loved ones know what your real wishes are.
--
Best regards
Han

As scary as all of this is, having Nancy Pelosi make these decisions is *really* scary.

What good does that do when the government bureaucrat tells you that your life isn't worth anything.
"krw" wrote:

I don't know what you're smoking, but it is g-O-O-d stuff.
Lew
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 02:16:58 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

I know. It's called "liberty". You should try it.
"krw" wrote:

Interesting. You smoke "liberty"?
Lew
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 03:22:01 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

I knew you wouldn't understand the whole concept.
"krw" wrote:

You are correct, the idea that a government bureaucrat makes medical decisions is a concept is a concept I neither accept nor understand.
Lew

I do understand the concept and its tendency to break down. Insurance company clerks make those types of decisions all the time. Now, hey have a profit motive instilled in them, where supposedly the government clerk only needs to weed out fraud.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

The trouble is that the insurance company clerk has the government clerk watching him. But who watches the government clerk?
J. Clarke wrote:

As voters, we do. But we've been doing a really piss-poor job of it.

I really think that due to a poorly understood provision (separation of powers) you always have recourse through the courts. Whether a principle is worth the expense is another thing. And I am afraid it is your money that is used first. That is the case whether the insurance agent is an insurance company clerk, or a government clerk.
--
Best regards
Han
"Han" wrote:

Precisely.
For profit insurance companies have grunts on the payroll whose total job is to find ways to weasel out of meeting their contractual obligations to their customers.
That's a private not a governmental happening.
Lew
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 19:31:11 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Government has grunts on the payroll whose total job is to justify their job. They have no customers.

...and that's the good part.
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 05:17:30 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Get used to it.