secure joints

I want to make a barrel shaped planter, with 12 straight sides out of 4 by 1 inch timber. The height of the planter is obviously variable depending on the length the 4 by 1's are cut.
I can mitre the edges, but my problem is what is the best way to join them? Bearing in mind the pressure will be from inside to out, thus always trying to force the joints apart. I do not want to put any banding round the planter and wondered if anyone can suggest a better alternative to biscuit joints.
Oldun
"Oldun" wrote in message

A birdmouth joint will probably be your best bet ... often cut with a "birdmouth" router bit, or on a shaper. DAGS.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05.

This is the bird's mouth joinery bit that Swingman mentioned http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pE160&cat=1,46168
You might also consider a flute and bead bits. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p0155&cat=1,46168,46184&ap=1
Thanks Upscale, the birdmouth joinery looks very interesting.
Oldun
wrote in message news:

Oldun wrote:

inch timber. The height of the planter is obviously variable depending on the length the 4 by 1's are cut.

Bearing in mind the pressure will be from inside to out, thus always trying to force the joints apart. I do not want to put any banding round the planter and wondered if anyone can suggest a better alternative to biscuit joints.

unless the wooden parts are decorative only and the plants/dirt are held in a separate inside container you are going to need bands of some sort.
The birds mouth joints don't offer a smooth transition on the outer face. They are usually used when the piece will also be shaped via turning or planing. They are not that strong from an internal pressure resitance point of view either.
You might consider splines\loose tennons. After you miter the edges of the slats, rip an 1/8th inch dado down the entire length of each edge about 3/4" deep. Then make 1/8" x 1 1/4 strips (I would use White Oak) and glue them in using waterproof glue.
For added strength you could go for wider dados\splines, I just like 1/8" because of the obvious ability to do it with the TS blade. You could also add screws or dowels from the inside to really lock in the splines.
I'm sure Kreg would encourage doing it with 136 pocket screws.
Oldun wrote:

Please put message text inline next time...
Asking about barrel-building...
Which prompts me to ask--anyone else get Roy's show last weekend w/ the guy from NY (whose name, unfortunately I didn't get as I didn't get to see either the beginning nor the complete end of the show) who's a cooper? Demonstrated making a small bucket--really nice!

Thanks
Oldun
"Oldun" wrote in message

Don't discount the birds mouth joint for your planter. In my experience with it, a properly glued joint of that type is sufficiently strong (stronger than a miter joint) and attractive, particularly with 1 x 4 slats, for a good size planter, and _much_ easier to assemble and clamp by yourself than mitering the slats, even with the use of splines. And if done properly, it won't need to be "turned" to look good ... ask any wooden boat builder worth his salt about both strength and looks.
If you do decide to go with a mitered slats, with or without splines, and if you're not jigged up for the job (which is doubtful or you wouldn't have asked the question), get some help ... you will be glad of at least two, or more, pair of hands when it comes to glue up with that method.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Oldun wrote:

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: secure joints Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:57:21 +0100 Lines: 50 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0030_01C58D22.2F691EF0" X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527
I pasted info from your posting header above...as you can see it was a multipart message which shows up in text-based newsreaders as an attachment. It's just much more inconvenient as nesgroups other than .bin are for text only. Not using OE I don't know precisely the menu items to modify to unset it, but I'm sure others can...
OK I think I know what you mean. My text was all sent as HTML and now (hopefully) it is in Plain Text.
Let me know if this has cured the problem.
Apologies to all.
Oldun
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: secure joints Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:57:21 +0100 Lines: 50 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0030_01C58D22.2F691EF0" X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527
I pasted info from your posting header above...as you can see it was a multipart message which shows up in text-based newsreaders as an attachment. It's just much more inconvenient as nesgroups other than .bin are for text only. Not using OE I don't know precisely the menu items to modify to unset it, but I'm sure others can...
Oldun wrote:

Yes, much better...now if you'll not top-post... :)