Beer Barrel Shaped Pole Transformers

I think all bars and taverns should have pole transformers that are shaped like a beer barrel. How do I get this mandated by the NEC?

Reply to
homeowner

Yes, someone has to do it!!! :)

However, I want one. I want a beer tapper right below the wires that actually dispenses ice cold beer. Just think of the popularity of this goodie. The heat from the transformer could be used to operate cooling coils to chill the beer, and that cooler could also help keep the transformer cooler. Everyone wins on this one, especially the drinker.

Reply to
homeowner

Where did you get that idea - a history book? When London had gas lights in the 1800s, some street light poles were fitted with small water taps that dispensed hot water for tea. The water was heated by a coil of pipe above the gas flame in the light. Pedestrians wanting a hot cup of tea and waiting to cross the street could put the wait to good use. You had to supply your own cup and tea, however.

Tomsic

P.S. The NEC doesn't regulate the transformers on power company poles, so talk to your electric utility company about your idea. Just maybe ....

Reply to
Tomsic

I remember reading about British tanks having a hot water dispenser for the tank crew's tea. It wouldn't surprise me if American tanks had a fridge for the beer. ?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Wednesday 16 January 2013 12:34 Tomsic wrote in alt.home.repair:

Pluto Lamps?

I must admit I had never heard of those - though I might see if I can find an archive copy of the Pall Mall Gazette 8th July 1898 and check!

We still have a few gas lamps (for effect):

Covent Garden - near where I am working now has lots - very touristy area and Westmister Council strictly enforce it retaining an old-world feel.

The Royal Parks and Buck House have a few too.

None of those, that I've seen, look anything like a Pluto Lamp so I guess they are long gone...

Reply to
Tim Watts

school busses used to have hot water dispensers for the driver, but this system was made illegal when one burst hurting the driver, and causing a accident...

Reply to
bob haller

:

I never heard of that one. Link?

Reply to
harry

e:

I believe that one is true. WW1 I think.

Reply to
harry

:

But here it is. The worlds first vending machine.

harry

The picture and artlcle that I remember on the hot water-dispensing street lights showed a fairly simple deisgn. I think the installation was in Southwark; but I have no doubt that the "Pluto Lamp" was a further development of the idea. What a great story. Thanks for posting it.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

I actually saw it in a video about British tanks and I think it was a Challenger MBT that had it. It was either a hot water dispenser or a heating element for a kettle. If I can remember the video, I'll post a link because I think many of the videos that were on cable TV or satellite TV are now on YouTube. ?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas