Sears Laser Trac Level

Anyone know about the Laser Trac 4 in 1 level at Sears? I was thinking that it would be handier than a water level being used by one person. On the box it says "accuracy + or - 1/2 inch at 30 feet". I asked what this meant. Could a supposedly level line be 1/2" high at one end, and 1/2" low at the other. Answer "I don't know". Anyone give any help. If I think the line is level, and it's out of level by 1/2" on a 12' wall, the tool is worthless. I looked on Deja news, nothing.
Thanks,
Frank

The short answer is it means the tool is a POS.

Translation: you're clueless.

An good discription of yourself.

Manny Davis wrote:

I live with her.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
When reading the subject line/tool name, stop after the first word and go look somewhere else.
I've traded, sold, junked every piece of crapsman I've ever had the misfortune to buy, some without even using.
Just my 1cent worth.
jlc
I'm probably

Really? Well, if you have anymore "crapsman" junk, please let me know and I'll be glad to take it off your hands.

Some stuff you didn't even try? Wow, that's a particularly big waste of money. I think some craftsman stuff is a use it once throw it away. Other stuff is o.k., but obviously not up to snuff.

1/2" is optomistic.
Everyone hear this. If it says laser level, and costs under 350 bucks, turn and walk away. No, run away.
Not bright enough to be seen outside in bright daylight, and crazy inaccurate.
--
Jim in NC

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net says...

I beg to differ. The product in question does seem to lack accuracy, but there are certainly some laser products on the market with exceptional accuracy at less than $350.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
It means, measured a thirty feet from the level, that the line could be 1/2" high or it could be 1/2" low. If they are stating this accuracy, chances are it would be much better than that. it comes out to .016 per foot. That's better than you will do with average spirit levels and much better than a chalk line. The water level would still beat it though.

Used mine for a project today, did exactly what it supposed to do. I don't know about the accuracy thing over 30', I haven't witnessed it, but I also haven't worked in a 30' room either. For my house working on my basement walls, other areas of house installing chair rail, etc, it has done a great job. Got it as a gift, but I think they only cost like $40.
I doubt most folks really need to use a level on a 30 foot surface. I find 15' is the farthest I go. Since opinions are like belly buttons... one thing to note is how good are your eyes? I'm blind as hell, so a laser or chalk line is usually a better solution for me since staring at a bubble oftens seems to to result in inaccuracy. Good luck with it! George

Why not check the laser's accuracy with the water level? I've never used one of these, only the big lasers on tripod w/laser eye. One thing about it, the laser is gonna be a straight line whereas the chalkline could fail in many ways (bumps in the wall, somebody let the dummy end slip, etc.) Nothing more fun than having multiple chalklines in one area. Hopefully you'll post back here and let us know how acurate it really is.
Kevin

You can do a self-check. Set up a level line where you can mark both ends. Now do the same from the other end. The difference between the two lines at the end where you started is twice the error in whatever the length of your line is.
There are two types of errors. One is repeatability error, i.e. how different is the position of the "level line" as you repeat the same setup an number of times. The other is consistant error, i.e. the level has a built in error of xxx over some distance.
You may want to repeat the above test several times to get an idea of how much of each error you get. It's like target shooting. If a rifle is perfectly sighted in, you still have a scatter of the pattern (unless you, the rifle and the ammo are perfect). If the rifle is sighted off in one direction, you still get the same size pattern but it is shifted off center from the bullseye.
Happy leveling.
Allen
Frank:
For what you're buying it's not bad. I checked at ROBOTOOLZ who makes all sorts of laser levels and their level that HomeDepot is now selling for $249 is +/- 1/4" at 100'. I wouldn't use the Sear's level to layout a large building or something at least 30' away, but something along a 12' foot wall or similiar seems to be in its capability.
One of the magazines did rate this tool as a good value. I think it was Workbench.
I'd go for it, if you couldn't afford the better laser level.
Others, I'm sure will disagree.
MJ Wallace
Frank Dennis wrote:

FWIW I was just given one, and tried it last weekend while installing some chair rail. Bottom line: it's getting returned.
1) The laser isn't bright enough. Even with the "laser enhancing" glasses, in a moderately lit room it was darned faint 8' away.
2) The laser line is too fuzzy for precision work, in my opinion.
And the biggie...
3) I "leveled" it using the internal level. Was out a good inch over 8'. Maybe mine is defective, but this isn't even in the ballpark.
-Brett
Just received the Lee Valley Christmas catalogue. It was listing a laser level that is supposed to be accurate within 1" over 120 feet. You might want to check it out if you're in the market for one.