sawing lumber on my bandsaw, right...

Yeh, it was cut down yesterday!

Would it help to let it dry out a few weeks? I am in no hurry; just want to get it done more or less right.

What you're running into is a common problem for turners as many of us get our wood from local sources and is usually very green. Some dripping wet fruiting cherry I recently cut into bowl blanks was a breeze - intermixed was some Big Leaf Maple which would bind and do what your Black Walnut is doing. I don't think waiting a couple weeks will make any difference because not enough moisture will be removed from the interior to help matters. You might try posting your question over on rec.crafts.woodturning to get their take on it.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

I just got the new Highland Hardware catalog, and they mention a blade designed for green wood. I guess the set of the teeth are wider, and prevent binding.
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDi44

As someone else said, I think it's too wet for the TPI.
I've used a 3/4" 3 TPI to cut mesquite firewood into (short) boards and did the first cuts freehand without issue. But it was Arizona bone dry.