Saw Stop

Page 3 of 4

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:10:07 GMT, "Leon"

And since dado cuts do not protrude through the wood, it's not possible to hit the blade while making a dado to begin with. Besides, we're talking about kickback, that's damn hard to do while making a dado cut.

After the wood goes through and is past the blades you are totally exposed to the blades and using dado blades does not reduce the risk of kick back.
"Brian Henderson" wrote in message

Not hard to do at all, IME... Freud even has dado stacks with an anti-kickback feature, IIRC.
The slightest accidental twist (not hard to do because it generally takes more force, both downward and into the blade, to push stock through a dado stack) is all it takes ... particularly with those cuts requiring a miter gage.
Not something pleasant to experience.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Brian Henderson wrote:

The default guard is usually mounted on a splitter that should go a long way to prevent the kickback in the first place...
To answer the question about insurance issues. Sure folk can self insure, but if you self insure without understanding the risks its a fool's choice.
There is something of a difference between a saw in the hands of an experienced professional and a saw in a room full of teens... I am surprised that anyone wants to go in for that particular job.
Doug Miller wrote:

unless you're reaching over the blade.
we all know we're not supposed to do that, but sometimes I find myself doing it anyway.

If that were possible, yes it would. The blade does not really care from what direction it is touched to transfer the signal to engage the Stop.

Oh, geez, here we go *again*. SawStop has been discussed here (and just plain cussed) at great length _at_least_ three different times. :-b
Do a Google Groups search on this NG for Saw Stop (or SawStop, without the space) and "false positive". I imagine you'll find a bit of info...
--
Regards,
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 21:30:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Sorry if it seems redundant - my search turned up some info but I did not see muc detail regarding *false stops* or false positives as you put it.

Some false stops reported here were due to a user using a particular electronic watch that fooled the saw. IIRC the manufacturer sent a resistor to ad to the saw to solve this problem.

That's a good one. Someone using a sawstop, but wearing a watch while operating it.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

"Particular" electronic watch. Seems like it was a digital.

I was speaking of the irony of using a saw stop equipped saw but not taking the simple safety precaution of removing a watch.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Ooooohhhh..

Most of the owners like the saw even though some have reported some false stops. The manufacturer helped solve the problem. LeeValley is replacing all of their work shop saws in their store with the SawStop.
FWIW I would much rather have a false stop than not have a stop when it is suppose to stop.
Joe Bemier wrote:

A google search of rec.woodworking will turn up a thread a few months ago.
In this thread a small commercial shop had some mis-fires that were eventually diagnosed to one particular employee. A filter sent free of charge by Sawstop, prevented further mis-fires, and a few days later this same employee had his thumb saved by the mechanism.
Alan
Joe Bemier wrote:

I think some of the concerns folks have relate to it providing a false sense of security. You still need to treat with the same respect as any other tablesaw. It can, and will, kickback with some impressive force. It's like airbags in a car. You still need a seatbelt. You still need to drive safely.
People that don't fasten their seatbelts because, "I've got airbags," or are careless with their table saw because, "It's a SawStop," are just accidents waiting to happen. Like Ron White says: "You can't fix stupid."
That said, I've been running one for about 6 months now and have had no misfires to date. I consider it a worthwhile investment on 2 fronts:
1) If I should have an attack of stupidity, it should, at the very least, leave me fixable. 2) It gives SWMBO peace of mind when I'm down in the shop.
One parting FYI, SawStop and Freud dados reportedly do not play well together. Something like the Freud being a bit smaller than 8" and not supplying a strong enough signal to prevent false positives. The SawStop rep said the Forrester dado was known to work, so I went with that instead of the Freud. This may have been fixed by now, but as I have a working dado, I have no inclination to persue it.
dcm
Snip
The SawStop rep said the Forrester dado was known to work, so I went with

Subaru makes dado blades now? :~)
Leon wrote:

A drum set falls down the hill -- barump bum.
Yeah, my bad, that should have been Forrest as in Forrest Dado King, not Forrester as in 4-wheel drive.
dcm
On 10 Jul 2006 14:28:14 -0700, "Devon Miller"

Heh, my first thought was "Dr. Clayton Forrester" of MST3K fame. :)
On 10 Jul 2006 12:52:57 -0700, "Devon Miller"

Thanks very much, Devon - high value info.