S-OT: Most Relaxing Tool in the shop?

Page 3 of 3

Or maybe facing-up some rough-sawn stock so it's ready for use.
http://www.klownhammer.org/cathouse/lotsashavings.jpg
O'Deen

This week is has to be my Dad's old miter box saw. I'm trimming out a couple of rooms and forgot how nice a really sharp back saw in a good miter box is for some trim work. There's no noise, no power cord to bother about, no dust flying about, just a nice clean cut. It was top-of-the-line before power miter boxes came into widespread use and is still my tool of choice for trim carpentry.
Jim

Wooden spokeshave.

For a power tool that is relaxing to use because it isn't too likely to damage either you or your project, it's hard to beat a 1/2 sheet orbital sander (e.g., PC 505) followed by a ROS as a distant second. Next would probably be portable drills. After that, it's all downhill, because even minor attention deficits are going to hurt either you or your project or both.
Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com