ryobi 1600 sander

I have googled and found out it is a POS compared to the Performax. Okay, but I can't afford a Performax.
If I spend the time to set it up, does it actually work; or is it that bad...? Is sand paper still available for it, or can something else substitute?
I probably only need it once in a while, but when I need it...
Toller wrote:

You don't use sand *paper*, you use sand cloth. All you need is long rolls, cut your own.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
I had the Ryobi and just had a heap of trouble changing the paper. About six months ago I bought a used Performax and sold the Ryobi. I must say the problem of changing the paper has been resolved, but for operation, actually prefer the Ryobi. With the Performax I have to apply a bit of pressure when feeding the work through -- didn't have to do this with the Ryobi. Also, the Ryobi had a rubber mat where the Performax uses a sandpaper type -- believe the rubber is much better -- provides a better grip. It uses the same roll the Performax does, but as stated in another post, you are MUCH better off getting a large roll and cutting your own strips.

Herb Robinson wrote:

Pressure where and on what?
--
dadiOH

Herb Robinson wrote:

It shouldn't do that - and won't - if set up properly. Some things to check
1. Depth of cut too deep... how much can be taken off in one bite depends on several things - grit, wood density, wood width, feed speed. For me, normal is about 50% feed speed, 1/64 - 1/48 with #80 or finer; up to 1/32 with #40 and a hard wood like oak or hickory, up to 1/16 with a softer wood like butternut or walnut.
2. Pressure roller height and/or tension is incorrect.
3. Feed belt is worn
4. Longish piece that is hanging down a bit so front edge is up. Extending the table is a *real* help.
#1 & #2 are the most likely.