Roybi Planer...buy or not?

Any comments on the Roybi planer; is it worth the buy for hobby use? Is it powerful enough to use on hard maple and easy on softer woods? thanks.

Reply to
ng

I've got one of the original Ryobi AP-10 planers that I bought about 14 or

15 years ago. Still runs very well. I've planed everything from Maple to Teak to Rosewood on it over the years. Spent last weekend planing down some Bubinga without trouble and got a very nice finish on it. Key is to keep the blades sharp (I've got a couple of sets, when one gets dull, the sharp set gets put on and the dull set goes to be sharpened) and the rollers clean. All in all it's been a good hobbyists tool - I use it on every project I do to dimension my lumber. I doubt it's as good as some of the new 3 knife multi-speed planers that have just come out. If I was buying now (and buying new) - I'd be looking at the new DeWalt 735.

Reply to
Gary

If you mean the one at Home Depot for $249 - one magazine gave it a bad rating - snipe and tear out. Another magazine gave it a good score. Last time I looked for owner's comments on the web - all were favorable. Power wasn't mentioned IIRC.

Me thinks it's a good planer if your limit is $250...

Reply to
mttt

Pick the model number of one of their older products and see if you can get parts for it. I haven't seen blades available anywhere for my 7 year old Ryobi jointer in some time...

Reply to
George

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Freud has the planer blades for the Ryobi AP 10. Ryobi is the basic inventor of the Benchtop planer, I have been brutilizing one now for over 12 years. I know one day its gonna tell me "Srcew you I just died" I was going to buy the new 12" model they have but now have my eye on the Dewalt 735, Mainly because of the 3 knives. If there is ever a tool I got my money's worth out of 20 fold it has surely been the AP10 If the 12" model is half no 1 tenth as good as the AP10 it is worth the 250.00. The original list price on the AP10 was 899.00 I used to laugh at anyone buying one Not so much as the money, A 60lb portable planer and i would laugh my as off, I bought on for a specific operation and have brutilized ever since Good Luck, George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Keep in mind that the new one is 13", not 10" any more, and now uses disposable blades (IIRC, haven't changed mine yet). I can tell you that I definitely get snipe, but I can also tell you that I've not taken the time to adjust the tables, and they are *clearly* not adjusted correctly. Everyone that I've heard from who has taken that time has eliminated their snipe.

thanks,

--randy

Reply to
Randy Chapman

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
5 Reviews:

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

- Incra Wonder Fence

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

Woodman

I picked up the AP1300 about a week ago. If you elevate the ends of the tables so that a straight edge placed across them leaves about 1/8" of clearance over the planer table, snipe is all but eliminated.

Reply to
Peter