Router planing sled with a mortising bit?

I am putting together a router sled to plane down an end grain cutting board this weekend as the belt sander is not really doing what I want and taking a loooong time.
Anyway, I know what I'm going to build, but my question is with the bit. I can buy "flat bottom" or planing bits online, but nothing local and I really wanted to do this over this weekend. Woodcraft (we have a store here) has a 1 1/4" mortising bit:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080380/31769/Freud-16108-Mortising-Router-Bit-12-SH-114-D-12-CL.aspx
Would this not produce a pretty flat surface in this scenario? I know I have to do some sanding to finish it, I just am trying to minimize it.
-Jim
On 12/1/2011 3:19 PM, jtpr wrote: ...

In that scenario a core box bit will produce a flat surface (if you move over the surface enough)... :)
Sure; anything flat will suffice for the purpose, larger means fewer passes to cover the area but you'll want a few more passes over the material to ensure don't hit some big area too hard first cut. If you've got a 3/4" or so, give it a go and see--it'll probably turn out to be all you need.
Or, of course, let your fingers do the walking to the nearby shop and have them run it through their thickness sander... :) If you've got a Woodcraft it's a big enough place there's bound to be a cabinet or architectural shop that surely would be glad to do it...
Biggest thing miss from Lynchburg was the access to the commercial shop at a whim.
On Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:41:24 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Yeah, I thought of that, but I'd like to do the whole thing myself just to see what is involved in the event I want to make more. But you have a point, I think I'll see what is in the area just for a backup.
-Jim

That'l do it
On 12/1/11 3:19 PM, jtpr wrote:

this weekend as the belt sander is not really doing what I want and taking a loooong time.

can buy "flat bottom" or planing bits online, but nothing local and I really wanted to do this over this weekend. Woodcraft (we have a store here) has a 1 1/4" mortising bit:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080380/31769/Freud-16108-Mortising-Router-Bit-12-SH-114-D-12-CL.aspx
If the top edges of the bit are also cutting edges, it will produce a pretty smooth surface. Get the largest diameter you can find.
--

-MIKE-

Try this bit. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2081580/32854/Freud-99026-Dish-Carving-Router-Bit-12-Shank-114-D.aspx
On 12/1/2011 4:19 PM, jtpr wrote:

this weekend as the belt sander is not really doing what I want and taking a loooong time.

can buy "flat bottom" or planing bits online, but nothing local and I really wanted to do this over this weekend. Woodcraft (we have a store here) has a 1 1/4" mortising bit:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080380/31769/Freud-16108-Mortising-Router-Bit-12-SH-114-D-12-CL.aspx
They also have the whiteside bit for $1 more.... and that is probably in the store.... and superior