Router OK?

I bought my first non-plunge router. It's a Porter-Cable. To move the bit up and down, one loosens a lever and turns the base. Mine doesn't seem to be right. When I loosen the lever, the base begins to turn on its own. If I tighten the bolt holding the lever to the point where it won't move except when I twist it, the lever won't close after I adjust. Am I doing something wrong? How can I adjust it so that it won't move unless I twist it but will still lock in place?

Reply to
Jim Staley

I have a PC 690 and mine is the same; it will start turning on its own once the base clamp is loosened. If I have it in a router table, and I am not careful, it will fall on the floor.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

OUCH!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sir: Your description & undersatnding of the problem indicates you are at risk. Do not operate this tool until you have a handle on this. The information is in the manual. Continue as you are and expect adversity.

(Routers)

Reply to
pat