Router depth gauge

I was pondering whether to buy one of these,but how does it work on a router table?when the depth is normally set by standing it on the base plate of the router.

Is it the same process but standing it on the table surface and lifting/lowering the router till the tip of the blade touches ruler?

I'm talking about the trend depth gauge.

Thanks

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: > I was pondering whether to buy one of these,but how does it work on a > router table?when the depth is normally set by standing it on the base > plate of the router.

If you have a 6" dial caliper, why bother?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have one of these and don't like it. It is very difficult to read.

For my router I use a set of brass bars of differing heights. For me it is more accurate to feel when the tip of the bit is at the top of a half inch brass bar than checking the ruler for a half inch.

I also use my combination square the same way the trend gauge is supposed to be used.

Reply to
Ken

How does that work? I do have a digital caliper thats spot on accurate.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'm thinkin' UK where all routers are plungers? See poorman's (very precise) depth gage at the

link. Notwithstanding its accuracy, all first cuts are essentially guess cuts. You may think you know where the cutter will cut but measuring the work is the gold standard.

Now the questi> I was pondering whether to buy one of these,but how does it work on a

Reply to
pat

Good use for scrap.

Make a cut, measure it, adjust as required.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I see, I'd rather adjust the router in one go rather than...cut,measure,adjust,cut measure,adjust.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes, that's it exactly. I have one of these (from Axminster). It seems fine to me. The accuracy is limited to your ability to read the tick marks on the ruler. It has both imperial and metric measurements.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

What ever floats your boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No offence like.

I've had a think and all it takes is a bit of wood with increments of half inch steps at one end, increments of 1/8th steps in the middle and 1/16th steps at the other end, marked on the wood. Position the wood against the fence and move the fence near to the router bit in question and adjust the height.

:-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby
1/16th > steps at the other end, marked on the wood. > Position the wood against the fence and move the fence near to the router > bit in question and adjust the height.

And then comes the test cut, usually on a piece of scrap.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

True,but if the increments are a fine line and are accurate in spacing,only one test cut is needed to verify its accuracy without having to have it niggling the head in future cutting. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Man, that's brilliant! We could call it a ruler!

Reply to
CW

"The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Starrett Combination Square is the tool you need for this operation. Calipers or a dial indicator mounted on a block also perform perfectly.

Dave

Teamcasa

I use the brass key stock too and find it works well. But I also found that a set of allen wrenches works and provides a wide range of sizes, by 32nds and 64ths.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

We could :-P but the difference is I have difficulty in concentrating on small increments on a ruler basically because its silver in colour with black segements whereas a piece of wood is whitish background plus I'm segregating the segements of a ruler.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd use a 4" Double Square. That sucker's handy!

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

That's what I use. I set it to the depth I want, set it on the ruler end and raise the bit/cutter until the top tip just nicks the head. I then make a test cut, but it's usually within a 32nd.

The more difficult task for me is adjusting the width of cut, especially on the shaper. This is where a tool like the Trend Depth Gauge could really shine. Set your fences dead straight with each other, set the gauge to the depth you want, then butt the fence back until the outside tip of the cutter just nicks the ruler. I'd imagine you could get it within the same 32nd right out of the gate. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Trend gauge has the necessary width to handle most shaper cutters.

I wonder if anyone makes a similar gauge with "feet" that are set wider apart and perhaps a little bit larger overall... That would be timesaver for me for sure.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

...so, you're suggesting a ruler made of ... wood?

Hmmm. I wonder if there's a patent on that. Have to check.

:-)

Reply to
D Smith

in theory, you can do that. just calibrate the plunge bars and the bit landing before you start....

in practise, you might be able to rig something up with a dial indicator, but leaving it set up all of the time on the router while running seems like a bad idea; dust and vibration and all that, and setup and takedown time is a bit much for each cut.

Reply to
bridgerfafc