Router Dado Jig

I posted pics on a.b.p.w. of a dado jig that I designed and modified to make accurate dado's to fit most any thickness stock. I have modified it to so that it is more accurate and easier to build. I posted drawing of this jig in the past and now I have posted actual pictures of the jig, set up, results. The pictures are in reverse order within each set so the top pic in each set is actually the second picture being described. Comments welcome.
That looks like it did the job pretty good Leon. How long is the bit used (actual cutting length)?
Jim

make
jig

That becomes a bit touchy. I used 1/2" Baltic birch for the jig and that dictates the cutting depth of the bit in relationship to the range of depths that you want to cut. Safely, you have 1/2" of adjustment depth.
I do however use a bit that cuts 3/8" deep. With that cutting depth the bit can be raised so that the bit rests on top of the board to receive the dado or cut as deep as 3/8" on the first pass using the jig and the guide bearing is still guided by the arms. You can cut the dado's deeper by removing the jig and letting the sides of the fresh cut dado guide the top bearing and cut even deeper.
For most furniture set ups I seldom cut a dado deeper than 3/8" inch so this bit works well for me.
Nice jig Leon!
--
Rumpty

Thanks.. I like it..

This method is by far the easiest way I've ever made dados and it works for an thickness of wood.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt001.asp

Yeah I have seen that video by Pat. My jig however works on the same principal except unlike the one in the dado mine is self squaring and along with being able to route most any width slot does not have to be resetup for each location of a dado. Mine holds it setting for any particular thickness.
I found some part of a thread in abpw discussing the pics, but I can't see any pics. When did you post them?, how can I "ressurect" them so that I can view them?
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:33:57 GMT, "Leon"

www.delorie.com/wood and select month.