Rotation direction for belt sander sharpening

Page 2 of 2
George wrote:
> Must be something I'm missing here. If you're going to buy the motor

I have one already sitting around that turns clockwise looking straight on at the shaft. I didn't purchase it so I have no idea what the deal is there - whether it was special because of it rotation, whether it's reversible.

Got a nameplate? You're sitting in front of a search engine. Ability to reverse is usually ascertainable by looking under the wiring plate.
http://www.engin.umich.edu/labs/csdl/ME350/motors/ac/ Will help identify main features.
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/elec-mtr/elec-mtr.html May suffice if there isn't a wiring diagram under the plate.
With this tool you would run the sandpaper into the edge, just like the planer blade being sharpened in the pic

Unless they are using a special motor, the belt rotates in the usual direction. I have seen this machine (but sold elsewhere) and know that it rotates in the usual direction. BTW, this machine is popular with knifemakers.

I always sharpen my knives by honing into the edge. Same thing when I sharpen my chisels and my plane irons. For those I use sandpaper, but I hone into the edge. If I had to hit it with a belt sander to get it down to a workable edge, I'd be fine with hitting it from either direction. It does not take any real amount of effort or concentration to keep the edge from digging in. Sometimes you can worry too much about these things, and it's better to just do them. BTW, I keep a coarse wheel and a wire wheel on my grinder so I don't put my edges against my grinder wheels - it would be ugly.
Some AC motors can be reversed by changing the brush position, but not all. No - reversing the hot and the neutral will not reverse the motor direction. In fact, depending on the motor, that can be quite a hair raising experience.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net