Rope carving help needed

Page 2 of 2

cabinet
need
chisel.
Thankee, Chuck. I peeked into the book section at Woodcraft yesterday and found nothing on rope carving except a brief mention that duplicated what has been said here. The Williams book wasn't there, of course, but I'll google it. Anything on southwest furniture is welcome here. BTW, if you want some inspiration, get the catalog of Earnest Thompson Furniture out of Albuquerque.Gorgeous stuff, and the finishes are amazing. We stopped there last month while on vacation.
Bob

Bob Schmall wrote:

I checked out their website, and it does look like great stuff. Certainly a lot more refined than the stuff we find around here advertised as SW-style. (A lot of which looks like someone built the project and then took an ice-pick and chains to it and then dragged it behind their pickup to make it look "distressed". Oh wait ... they probably did.)
I also checked on the book by Williams, and unfortunately, it is out-of-print, and it looks like used copies are going for roughly $70. Yikes, I dunno if it's *that* good. Anyhow, if you need more info on the technique he describes, let me know. I might be able to get you a "personal-use copy". (But it will probably be after Thanksgiving, as we're heading down to Mexico (San Miguel de Allende) for a week. *neener*)
Chuck Vance
-- mike hide

carved

Mike dunbar's book woodturnig for cabinetmakers has a good bit on this. It seemed like a challenge so I gave it a try just for kicks. It turned out to be much easier than it looked. You would be surprised how uniform hand work of this kind can look. Give it a try on some scrap before you go investing a ton of money on something you might not really need.