Rocket Ship shelf?

My son will be 5 in a couple of weeks and has expressed an interest in having a rocket ship shelf. He currently has a store bought shelf in his room that's about 2ft wide and 6 ft tall. I've DAGS but haven't found anything. A couple of years ago I made one of those boat shelfs for my brother, and while that's close to what I'm looking for, I'm afraid it will just look like a boat in the end. Thanks for any pointers, Mark

The main thing is that it needs to be magnetic and/or covered in Velcro, so things don't float off in Zero-G.

Just build another one of those, and tell the kid it's a SPACE-ship.
Robert E. Lewis wrote:

Get in? Hmmm... Of course, this is how the 'project pit' gets started. A simple bookshelf turns into an animated interactive adventure for the children. Now I just have to figure out how to combine the computer into this somehow and I'll be set.

the connection. Also, he sees the boat/nautical theme at his uncle's house where the other shelf is often enough to see the similarity. It's in the back of my mind, anyway.
Thanks, Mark
werlax wrote:

I'm thinking just add a pair of fins on the bottom and paint it bright colors. Your son can help paint it, so it will look just like what he thinks a rocket should look like.
Thu, Jun 3, 2004, 11:09am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (C.Groth) says: I'm thinking just add a pair of fins on the bottom and paint it bright colors. <abuo>
Nope. Ask the kid what "he" thinks a rocket should look like. Maybe draw you a picture, or better, show you a picture. Go from there.
I would think plywood for the back, and shelves, maybe the sides. Then a design on the outside, and bright colors. No prob.
JOAT If you're offered free wood, take it, period; figure out what to use it for later. - JOAT
J T wrote:

pictures as soon as I can. Maybe I'll post his "plans" to a.b.p.w. ;)