Roadkill question

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:21:40 -0800 (PST), Michael

I'm not interesting in doing it. The state though, has people on a list that take the deer and make good use of it. State laws will vary with what you are allowed to do, but some use the meat for homeless shelters and soup kitchens.

Around here, everyone takes it to (or has it picked up by) the Wildlife Images park. http://www.wildlifeimages.org/ Clark is my fave kitty, a bigass cougar.
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

That's how a fair bit of the freshly reported roadkill is handled here. Often volunteer cops or smoke-eaters will do the cleaning, packaging and if taken in the fall, frozen and distributed to people around christmas.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 03:33:27 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I remember reading about authorities on the US side of lake Ontario shooting the marauding Canada geese, cooking them up and serving them to the homeless. Good for them. I hate those damned birds.
Last time I went down to Toronto Island over ten years ago, you couldn't go two feet in any direction without stepping in goose shit. Those damned birds are protected over here. Stupidest law on the books.
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110624/nyc-officials-sending-cdn-geese-to-feed-homeless-110624 /

That's the same for the recreational playing fields by Bear Mountain parking lots in New York, a very pretty area if you can look around the 2 legged creatures.
--
Best regards
Han
------------------- "Han" wrote in message That's the same for the recreational playing fields by Bear Mountain parking lots in New York, a very pretty area if you can look around the 2 legged creatures.
--
Best regards
Han

An associate of mine has an automated, taxidermist prepared, coyote that he puts near the edge of the pond at the resort/banquet facility that he owns. The head and tail move... haven't seen a goose there since!
John

Sounds like a great idea!!
--
Best regards
Han

I like goose as a meal. The big fat white ones. The Canada Goose not so much. Gooses make great guard dogs.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 07:35:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

They guard your banana plantation, eh? How do you keep them around during the winter?
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:35:19 -0800, Larry Jaques

Most migrate south into the US for winter. But, an increasingly greater number of them stay and winter in Canada because of the idiots up here who feed them on a regular basis. Failing that, geese are just as capable of breaking into your garbage can as any wily raccoon.

In a coop. Coop De Ville?
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Seeing as how you might eat them, don't you mean coup de grace?
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I had a stove by that name. Excellent old gas job with thermostatic burner, big chrome griddle in the middle, and a separate broiler with unlimited height adjuster. She was a beaut!
And, while we're speaking of wooden cock houses, I saw some advertised in the local Grange Co-op ad last week. Hayseuss Crisco, they go for $650-800 around here! Now I see why Swingy was using a Festool to build 'em. I had no idea they went for so much money. http://www.grangecoop.com/poultry-coops
P.S: I thought you might have bought them a little goose coupe. You don't know what I got.
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
There are a few here that would give you a goose if you would hold still for a few minutes.
--------------- "Robatoy" wrote in message
I like goose as a meal. The big fat white ones. The Canada Goose not so much. Gooses make great guard dogs.

Years ago in Kansas the authorities did offer the deer to the person involved in the accident. I don't know if that is still the case. If it is as mangled as some I have seen I wouldn't want it because you can get into all kinds of contamination issues.
Ron

In theory, Yes!. In practice, 7 times. (one hit by me, the other six I witnessed or were told about by a trusted friend and made it there within 15 minutes of the "connection") Marc (who does not buy beef)

Ruptured internal organs could render the meat unfit. Otherwise, any meat is fair game for chili making.

My dad hit a deer once and the Trooper asked if he wanted to take it home. He daid if he didn't he'd call a person who would. I suppose the difference is freshly killed vs. one you find dead by the road.