Riving Knife on Ryobi BT3100

I finally got a table saw this weekend, I picked the Ryobi BT3100 and I'm pretty impressed with, bang for the buck. The only trouble I'm having is that the riving knife seems pretty flimsy and it wobbles a lot. Moreover, no arrangement of the shims aligns it properly with the saw blade. I've got all my shims on one side and it's still off and there's no more to move to fix it! Anybody else encountered this?
I know this is not what you wanted, but I was curious what the riving knife is for. I have looked at pictures, but I can't tell. It was on a circular saw, though.

got

Pretty much the same thing as a splitter, but I think it follows the blade up and down as you raise and lower it.
nuk
--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

got
Thanks for the input. I futzed aroudn with it some more and got it more or less aligned. I can rip stock without it getting caught, anyway, so I think I've got it right. I'm pretty impressed with the power and utility of the saw, considering how economical it was. My only major complaint is that the manual taht comes with it isn't very well organized, but we put it together in about an hour, knowing NOTHING about table saws.