Right Tilt vs Left Tilt

"Leon" wrote in news:qLMXb.22077$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

I happen to have the Jet catalog here, and was curious....

This saw ISN'T the Supersaw, nor the JTAS-style saw. It appears to be the

708436K, but with a different fence. Something that the Jet folks put together for the Rockler event, maybe? Like Leaon said, it is a 110V saw, capable of dual voltage, if I got the model right. The pictures match the Rockler flyer, at least. I didn't find it on the Rockler website in my exhaustive, 2 minute search, however. ;-)

to the OP: Good hunting!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Actually that Jet saw has probably been around 10+ years.. IIRC Delta has one also. The Rockler sales add that comes in the mail had the sale on the saw.

Reply to
Leon

One production cabinet shop I worked in (about 25+ years ago) had a right tilt, and a left tilt side by side for lead work. Both types have their place but the preference seemed to be for the left tilt saw. My own personal preference? Left tilt. Personal saw?...uhhh...right tilt....

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

The reason the price is so low is that the saw you're talking about is NOT a Jet cabinet saw. Jet should be shot for calling that thing a cabinet saw. It is a toy compared to their real cabinet saws. The only similarity it has with a true cabinet saw is that it has an enclosed base. It is a 2HP saw, rather than the 3HP or more that is typical for a modern cab saw. It has the typical contractor saw construction, with the trunnion suspended from the top of the saw, rather than from the top of the enclosure as is the practice with true cabinet saws. It has nowhere near the weight and stability of their regular cabinet saw. The fence is much less beefy than those typically found on cabinet saws.

The real Jet cabinet saw (JTAS-10) is an excellent saw, but you aren't going to find it new for $700.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver