Restoring an Outdoor Finish

I remember seeing this thread before but I can't find it. I have a friend who has an outdoor picnic table that was originally finished with Thompson's water seal, and then he put an oil-based varnish over it a year or so later. Now everything is peeling. What types of finish can he put over it to seal/restore it? Thanks,

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

initial cost of quality, use Sikkens.

You have 3 applications to start. The base application is the hardest. You have to strip out the existing stain, sand the raised grain, then apply 2 base coats. The top coat is easier and is the maintenance layer. That comes 6-8 months after you apply the base.

I think you could also use the cetol product (I haven't used that one). Check their site for products and how to apply them.

I did my deck with the stuff, and it was gruelling to initially apply, but I am really glad I did the work. A year later, and it looks the same as day 1 (still beads water). Since my deck sits mostly in the shade and is elevated, I understand and can see I have at least another 3-4 years until my next top coat.

Sikkens.com shows you exactly what product to use and precisely how to apply. I found their support staff very helpful, as I had a number of questions and they answered them all.

Reply to
todd the wood junkie

Thompson's has wax in it. Unless your friend spent the time properly stripping and sealing the table, the residual wax will enable the poly to peel off readily. He should strip the table, seal it with dewaxed shellac, and then apply the top coat of his choice.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron