REPEATING CROSSBOW

Page 2 of 2
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

That bucks head was a hellava lotter bigger than the squirrels I'd been hunting for a year with that rifle.
I was nine, was deer hunting with grown ups for the first time, was put purposely out of the way in a stand where you couldn't see further than 25 yards, was instructed not to shoot unless the deer was standing still and I could get a clear head shot. I'm sure they thought I wouldn't see a deer, much less get a shot.
When that buck walked under my tree I was shaking, _bad_, but all the parameters were met ... bingo, the only one to get a buck on that trip.
On that same trip I won my first $10 bill from one of my Dad's friends by hitting a beer can at 50 yards with an old Remington rolling block 45/70, and the second on the very next shot ... after he too had said "lucky shot". :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
"J T" wrote in message

(64) If you do, my sympathies ...

IOW, no need to aim, just face in the direction of perceived danger ... basically why, in RVN, I shitcanned the M16 & .45 TOE issues and commandeered an M-79 and a boatload of buckshot rounds.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
"J T" wrote in message

Hehe, know the feeling ... along with the M79, I "misappropriated" a 60mm mortar (strictly to use for illumination rounds - _hated_ those night attacks), and four (count 'em, 4) 50 cal machine guns, none in our TOE, but combined a great comfort on a dark night when you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
Swingman wrote: | "J T" wrote in message | || trying to convince my room-mate to get ahold of a M-60 for me. LOL | | Hehe, know the feeling ... along with the M79, I "misappropriated" | a 60mm mortar (strictly to use for illumination rounds - _hated_ | those night attacks), and four (count 'em, 4) 50 cal machine guns, | none in our TOE, but combined a great comfort on a dark night when | you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face.
In different contexts I liked the M-1, hated the M-14, liked my 'greasegun' (but not the .45 sidearm), and liked the M-16 (well enough to buy a Sporter-1 with a Bushnell 3-9X scope when I got out).
I like the /idea/ of quad-50's, but doubt that I'd much have much enjoyed jumping with one :-)
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Two years "training" with one in the Corps at Texas A&M in the early 60's (and in one summer training camp actually firing the damn thing) ... "reliability" personified. Could probably still field strip one, blindfolded. :)

The weapon during my Basic/AIT/OCS days ... at least it was accurate, as I manged to fire "Expert" with it every required qualification, although one blew up on the rifle range right next to me in Basic, blinding, for life, the young recruit who was firing it.

M3? ... never messed with it, although there were a few "base camp commando's" who carried it in RVN. Like having a fully automatic .45 caliber pistol, IIRC.
I would love to have brought my service .45 back with me like my WWII veteran Dad managed to do. He still has his. Not very accurate, but would have served well in some of the streets around this urban cess pool today. :)

Threw it away immediately I was assigned to an ARVN Ranger Battalion and "acquisitioned" the aforementioned M79, which I carried for the next 13 months; light, fit under your arm pointing which every way you were looking, and would cut a small tree down, and there was not much need for a rifle when you can't see 50'.

Neither would I ... but just the sound of them working out _almost_ made you feel warm/safe inside. :)
How's the woodworking going ... doesn't seem to be much happening around here in that vein lately?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
Swingman wrote: | "Morris Dovey" wrote in message | || liked my 'greasegun' (but not the .45 sidearm), | | M3? ... never messed with it, although there were a few "base camp | commando's" who carried it in RVN. Like having a fully automatic | .45 caliber pistol, IIRC.
A little better than that, but not by much. It was strictly a close quarters weapon, but hard to beat when you were way too close to way too many unfriendly people - the normal environment for my MOS. I was glad to have it, but expected that if I ever needed to use it the best I could hope for would be proper escort across the rainbow bridge.
| I would love to have brought my service .45 back with me like my | WWII veteran Dad managed to do. He still has his. Not very | accurate, but would have served well in some of the streets around | this urban cess pool today. :)
The one time I thought a handgun would be of any use I went off-post and bought an old (serial number < 450) Walther P-38. I still have it. For that job all I needed to do was encourage a relatively small number of unfriendly folk to keep their heads down until I was on the ground.
| How's the woodworking going ... doesn't seem to be much happening | around here in that vein lately?
Well, the stuff I'm working on falls mostly into the "same old - same old" catagory. In off hours I've been trying to nail down the final details of my fork lift and (this weekend only) develop a gambrel roof design for a friend. Not very inspiring stuff.
I did dig out a small (very small) single-shot crossbow pistol that my dad made (out of mostly cherry and oak) when he was about 16. I'd pretty much forgotten about it until this thread popped up.
Morris Dovey wrote:
> A little better than that, but not by much. It was strictly a close > quarters weapon, but hard to beat when you were way too close to way > too many unfriendly people - the normal environment for my MOS. I was > glad to have it, but expected that if I ever needed to use it the best > I could hope for would be proper escort across the rainbow bridge.
The standard by which all other close quarter weapons should be judged is a sawed of double barrel 10ga loaded with double 00 buckshot, IMHO.
You only get two shots, but what a harvest.
Remember the old TV western from the 60s'?
Lew
Sun, Jul 1, 2007, 4:15am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (LewHodgett) doth sayeth: The standard by which all other close quarter weapons should be judged is a sawed of double barrel 10ga loaded with double 00 buckshot, IMHO. You only get two shots, but what a harvest. Remember the old TV western from the 60s'?
The Brits, fighting Communists in Malayasia, years back, came to the conclusion that a .12 ga, with # 4 buck, was preferred for close range. Denser pattern among other things. I'll go along with them. Against people that is, for lions I believe the choice is still 00 buck. MY personal choice for lions is an air rifle, and staying out of countries where they have lions running around wild.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Sat, Jun 30, 2007, 3:03pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (MorrisDovey) doth sayeth: In different contexts I liked the M-1, hated the M-14, liked my 'greasegun' (but not the .45 sidearm), and liked the M-16 (well enough to buy a Sporter-1 with a Bushnell 3-9X scope when I got out). I like the /idea/ of quad-50's, but doubt that I'd much have much enjoyed jumping with one :-)
I liked the M-1, but loved the M-14. For one thing the M-14 doesn't go SPROING when it's empty. Had a M-2 carbine fo awhile. Damn thing would jam about the third round, every time, on full-auto. But on semi-auto it was as dependable as yu could want. Took out te selector switch after a bit. Used to carry a bag full of 30 round magazines taped in 3s.
Knew of a guy in Ohio, I believe it was, think he's deceased now. Had a quad .50 mounted in the back of a truck. I think the only place he fired it was at Knob Creek. I am not envious of too many people and what they own, but in that case I have to admit I was just a little bit envious.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
I like a 1903-A3 Springfield.
If you know what you are about, you can do a lot of damage with it.
I own two.
I like them both.
They are both very accurate.
I also like my Colt 1911.
I do not like plastic pistols, like the Shlocks.
1911's are notoriously inaccurate - unless you own one and know how to hold them.
Mine is not worked - it is stock.
I still shoot good groups at fifty.
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 00:19:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:
> I like a 1903-A3 Springfield.
Still remember my first experience with that beast.
Had just turned 16, and went to the local NRA outdoor range one day.
Found some members shooting outdated armor piercing ammo, provided by the gov't, at targets about 200 yds out, just to get rid of it.
They offered to let me shoot.
Took a sight, squeezed off a round, and the kickback skinned the hell out of my nose.
Never made that mistake again.
Lew
Tue, Jul 3, 2007, 12:30am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (LewHodgett) doth sayeth: <snip> Took a sight, squeezed off a round, and the kickback skinned the hell out of my nose. <snip>
Hehehe I knew enough that never happened to me. No M-1 thumb either.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Mon, Jul 2, 2007, 7:30pm snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com (TomWatson) doth sayeth: I like a 1903-A3 Springfield. <snip> I also like my Colt 1911. <snip> I still shoot good groups at fifty.
Ah yes, got gifted one (mail order) when I was 13. Cost a whole $35. Beautiful condition, I could pop beer cans off-hand at 100 yards no prob. Then when I was in the Army my old man "improved" it by filing the sight notch deeper, because he was shooting it high. Pissed me off. Finally had to get rid of it because I was really hurting for cash while raising my two sons on my own.
Had various .45s at different times, but the last two were a Argentina Colt, mint condition, and a 1911. Got rid of them for te same reason as my Springfield.
The only plastic pistols I've shot were water pistos. Most of them worked out very well. I make do with a Ruger wonder nine. Works nicely, at the range for my CCH had about 7 rounds thru the 8, 9, and 10 rings. I attribute those to single action the first shots. The rest punched a fist sized hole thru the X ring. It kinda makes up for not being a .45 with its 15 round magazies.
At fifty what?
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Sat, Jun 30, 2007, 1:55pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) "J T" wrote in message trying to convince my room-mate to get ahold of a M-60 for me. LOL Hehe, know the feeling ... along with the M79, I "misappropriated" a 60mm mortar (strictly to use for illumination rounds - _hated_ those night attacks), and four (count 'em, 4) 50 cal machine guns, none in our TOE, but combined a great comfort on a dark night when you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face.
Nah, obviously someone misplaced them, and you were only safe-guarding them until te rigtful owner(s) showed up.
On occassion a Teddy Bear just doesn't quite provide all the comfort needd for a secure night's sleep.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Thu, Jun 28, 2007, 7:24pm snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com (TomWatson) doth sayeth: The reason that I still have one is that I have a ten year old boy who will eventually be a twelve year old boy, who will then learn the joys of working an iron sights 22. He's been shooting BB guns at paper for a couple of years. He can't wait to get to the point where the gun makes a bang and a smell.
If you want an in-between piece, get one of those inexpensive Chinese army style single shot air rifles, with the under barre cockin lever.
I piecked up one years back, for about $28. Amazingly well made, and astonished me with the power. I doesn't just bounce off th side of a 55 gallon drum, it punches in and sticks. As soon as I can figure out exactly howI want to pt a ceekrest on it, I'll scope it. Definitely NOT a toy. The only bad thing about it, it's a .177 and with my stubby fingers it's not easy for me to chamber a pellet on the first try -but I think I've figured ut how to make a pellet chambering thingie, no prob..
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Thu, Jun 28, 2007, 11:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (LewHodgett) doth sayeth: <snip> My buddy and I, equipped with a fresh box of 500, .22 cal, long rifle hollow points and iron sited rifles spent many a Sunday afternoon thinning out the chipmunk population. <snip>
Technically, 500 rounds of .22 ammo, packed like that, ten 50 round boxes, in a larger box, is called a brick.
Uwed to piss a buddy off immensly. He'd shoot a scoped .22 rifle at soda cans out abot 100 yrds, and I'd shoot a High Standard Victor, 22 target pistol, iron sights, and beat him every time. That pistol was later stolen, sigh, and never recovered. Sure it was a neighborhood kid, but never able to prove it.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Thu, Jun 28, 2007, 5:43pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) dotrh sayeth: For that I much prefer an M79 with buckshot round!
Where's your sporting instinct? Besides, where you gonna get a legal M79? I"d go with a pump 12 ga and slugs instead. Or, if you want to go for biger game - http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton