Repairing wood shingles on the house (pressure washer damage)

I was pressure washing the old paint off my house and from a distance it noticed all the paint was coming off quite nicely in one area. After I was done and upon further inspection, I noticd I managed the gouge the wood in several areas with a zig zag pattern. The damage is about 1/4" in depth and it's too deep to sand. What can I use to repair the damage without replacing the wood? Can I use a wood filler? Please reply with suggestions. Thank you!
Linda

I'd prime the shingles to get a good bond and then fill the damaged areas with MH Patch--an exterior wood filler. Then sand as needed, prime the patches, then paint. Alternatively, if the shingles are textured like shakes, I'd use a whisk broom to texture the patch before it's fully set up, then prime and paint. You may need two applications of patch in the real deep wounds...
John