Repairing Spindles on old Rocking Chair

I have an old rocking chair with one rocker broken off at the point where the upright spindles meet. The spindles fit into a hole in the rocker. Where can I find the procedure for making this repair? I recall an article (didn't need the info at the time) somewhere that instructed the repair using a dowel but I can't get the idea straight in my head in order to make the repair. I can't afford to make a mistake with this old piece.
Jim Pettway
Some drill a deep hole in seat then insert spindle then glue top and lift up for assembly. I've disassembled by using allthread rod and couple of nuts and blocks of wood with holes drill for allthread rod. Warm vinegar into/around joints may help.
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:00:51 -0500, "Jim Pettway"