refinishing

Bought a nice golden oak veneer round dining table used. It has a few minor surface flaws, no gouges just small areas where finish has come off. There is one spot that has a raised area like a bubble, about the size of a dime. I was told to correct that, I should use a towel and warm iron on top of area??? I am of course am looking for suggestions the easiest way to go about making the top look good. Also would like to know the correct steps before having a complete refinishing job ahead of me.
Thank you'
Gizo
It's hard to tell from your description without seeing a picture. The iron and WET towel is usually used to raise or "sweat" out dings in the wood. If the finish bubbled up with a dimes diameter I would suspect either something caustic was spilled on it, the piece was finished before a filler underneath fully dried, or it was a bad veneer job. If the raised skin is clear, meaning just the wood is stained, you could knock the bubble off and drop-fill assuming it's lacquer. If the bubble is colored you may have to tint your lacquer to get a good match. There are a few different types of lacquer that have been used over the years, so I'd check compatibility first...like on the bottom of the edge. What I just wrote applies if just the finish is raised and not the veneer.