Re: Windsor Plywood Scam - Saskatoon

And the reason for posting this ridiculously long post was......?

Reply to
Leon

And your purpose in reposting the entire thing was...?

Doug Miller

He's posting it on a few groups. I actually read the whole thing on one of our local groups. It appears that the point is to drive business away from Windsor Plywood.

Who happen to be the only place in town with a decent selection of hardwood and who I just bought some very nice maple from.

The story itself is a convoluted one of a couple who claim to have run into a less-than-honest contractor and suffered hardship as a result, as told from the point of view of someone close to that couple.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The home owner is a disabled Canadian and was not able to defend himself. He wrote to the head office of Windsor Plywood and he did not receive a response from them. I sent the other Windsor Plywood outlets an email about the Saskatoon outlet filing a false claim of lien. Filing a false claim of lien is not good for business. A response from the Windsor Plywood outlet in Red Deer is slandering the home owner. I posted the response below to a concern about a lien being placed on a home owners property on the sk.politics newsgroup. It is not my intention Òto drive business away from Windsor PlywoodÓ, it is to let people know what happened to a disabled home owner in Saskatoon. He was put into the hospital for two weeks by a false claim of lien on his property.

Hi Carol

A normal practice for any building supplier is to place a lien on the property for the amount of the building supplies and removing the lien when the building supplies are paid for. Check out the contractor, call the construction association, city planning department and ask your local sub trade suppliers and trades people about the contractor. A company like Home Depot or other Windsor Plywood outlets would not engage in filing false claims of lien and I would think they would be disgusted by the actions of Windsor Plywood in Saskatoon.

James Hunter

Reply to
James (Garry) Hunter

Agreed. Then why did you quote the whole #@$%& thing???

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Then why did you quote the whole #@$%& thing???

Because home owners who have a builders lien on their property need to see that they have no protection. Not from the court, lawyers, law society, politicians or anyone. The protection for the home owner in the Act is unattainable and in Saskatoon the home owner will be blackmailed out of their property. If one reports a lawyer to the police in Saskatoon the lawyers, law society, prosecutors office and politicians will protect the lawyer. The court is corrupt in Saskatoon, has been for years, it is documented on internet sites like injusticebusters.com and others sites. We have no other outlet in Saskatoon and more and more people are speaking out on the internet. Judges in Saskatoon are abusing their power, they do it in a complete vacuum of any accountability. I am doing my part, the tax payers of Canada pay the judges salaries, they are federal Judges. Justice Dovell is a Court of Queen's Bench Justice who is protecting her former law partner who placed a false claim of lien on a home owners property. The tax payers in Canada pay her over $200,000.00 a year for this? Disabled people have rights in Canada, but not in Saskatoon, they are put into the hospital by Judges like Hrabinsky, Madam Justice Smith and Dovell.

James

Reply to
James (Garry) Hunter

Oh fer... You're starting to sound llike Kabatoff.

Take it to the Human Rights Commission, the police and the Star Phoenix newspaper. This is not the appropriate forum for blowing off steam at perceived injustices in Saskatoon. It has nothing to do with woodworking.

Followup set to can.legal, where this *is* on topic.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Who is Kabatoff?

A false claim of lien by a building supplier is a matter that people who buy wood should be interested in. It could happen to them, if they own a house or property. People in Saskatoon buy wood. James

Reply to
James (Garry) Hunter

While I live in California and not Seskatchewan, we have mechanics leins here and I suspect that the rest of Canada and the rest of the US (with the possable exception of Louisiana as their law is based on the Napoleanic code) is based on the common law of England.

Part of this is ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Your unfortunate friend failed to select his contractor with a reasonable degree of prudence, and as a result got himself in a mess.

The law is not at fault here, the contractor was, and your friend was. The former being a crook, the latter being neglegent in attending to his affairs, but the supplier was not unless he was acting with malace.

If the lein is invalid, there is a court room to address the issue and penalties for filing a malicious lein. If your friend took his case to court and lost, then there is appeal. If he failed to protect his rights by getting the reqresite lein releases or something like that then he gets to suffer the loss, just as if the vendor had not filed the lein and got stuck without payment would have suffered.

In any event the internet is hardly the appropriate forum for resolving the issue.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I agree this is not a group that would be interested in the legal matters of a false claim of lien. While I have the attention of some wood workers I would like to ask a question. I have some of my Grandfathers hand made tools and would like to know if there is a place that would use them or display them? I could never sell them and am unable to use them. I don't know what some of them are apart for the planes. One of the planes is about three feet long, I would think made out of some kind of hard wood about 4 X 4 inches. One of the tools I remember as a kid he used to cut the top off a one piece box about two inches from the top. He was making a jewellery box . The top was then hinged and the cut was like what I think is called a rabbit cut. I remember that he would take his finger and push the drawers closed at the bottom corner, if the drawer did not close smoothly it was not good enough. He made the tools and some were made by his father. It would be nice if I could find a good home for them where they could be used or displayed in a woodworking environment.

James

Reply to
James (Garry) Hunter

Then why did you post here?

Doug Miller

Do you have kids? If so, you might give some thought to preserving /their/ heritage. If not, try to locate a local historical society that might want to include them as part of one of their exhibits.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The Saskatoon woodworkers guild meets the third Thursday of every month at Walter Murray Collegiate.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

A hand made tool is something that should get some use, if only once in a while. For this reason I favor depositing them with someone that would use them, but if you like the display concept better I would like suggest talking to local shop teachers or wood workers suppliers. I kind of like the shop teachers idea as it would expose the kids to a little idea of what is possible without power tools.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the person who reposted the whole message to put in a 2 line comment.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thank you Roger and Dave.

My family arrived in Granville paying 25c each for a boat ride from Moodyville. I think most of the houses they built would be gone now, the fire in 1886 would have destroyed many off them. The only house that I know they built and is still there is the Barclay House. I could never understand why a carpenter would have a large well used axe weighing 10 lbs. I would think is was made by a blacksmith, the blade is 1 ft long, the handle is curved and where it fits into the axe the shape is like the letter D, the cutting edge is on one side only. I would like to see the main beam or supports in the Barclay House, they may have been cut by hand with this old axe. Thank you for your suggestions, I will find a good home for them in Vancouver BC.

James

Reply to
James (Garry) Hunter

That's a broad axe (AKA a hewing axe) and it was a vitally important carpenter's tool in the days before lumber yards full of pre-dimensioned lumber. It was used to square logs and beams and reduce very thick lumber to rough size.

You're unlikely to see the results in any visible part of the house, but if you go crawling around in the attic or the basement, you may find some exposed beams with the characteristic marks of the broad axe.

rcook5

I expect that you already now you have a broadaxe. I have hewn my share of timbers with a similar axe. Look on the flat side and notice the change of colour in the steel near the cuting edge. The tool steel is forge welded to mild steel. You can tell the life left.....or lost, of your broadaxe by how much tool steel is left.

BTW....my grandfather drove the second motor vehicle in the Vancouver area......a truck full of lumber.

regards......Ken

Reply to
....Ken

I would like to have a look at some of the old houses they built and find some marks of the axe. I may have a problem getting anyone to open the door if I walk up their sidewalk with the axe over my shoulder. It looks like the type of axe used to cut heads off in the Tower of London.

I can not see any colour change, the steel has a shine look to it. The axe looks like it is all the same steel. The sides are not smooth, there are indents on the flat side that look like it may have been made by pouring the steel into a cast or something and the indents were made by gas or trapped air bubbles. The top is 1 ¼ X 3 5/8 inches and has been flattened out a bit from being hit many times. I know that he made his hand saws and think he may have made this axe. I have looked on the internet but I can not find out why the axe has a D shape where the handle fits into it. The opening is shaped like a tear drop but is flat on the one side. I can not think what it would be like to build a house with no power tools. If the hand saw broke or was lost to have to make one from scratch out of a piece of steel with files is amazing and it did not take him that long to make one. He would have been green with envy if he had seen the pictures of the jewellery box in the Finished in time post by Todd the wood junkie.

Thank you for the information

James

Reply to
James (Garry) Hunter

1300+ lines of...something. No clue what it's about.

Reply to
Dave Hinz