Re: What is it? CIX

635. Wire gauge. (I still have one in me tool kit from when I was a

> telephone lineman...)

...for the County?

> Andrew VK3BFA. >

Found another overload yet?

Reply to
Jeff R

No. Thats power liney work,, I was a telephone liney.. They didnt go "bang" when they shorted, not enough current. And the power guys only had 3 conductors to deal with. - dead easy. They could find faults by looking up. Telephony was harder to fault find - no flames or smoke.... Mine had up to 9600 pairs in a cable....all gone now, replaced by fibre optics. .....sigh.....the "good ol days".....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Andrew, I believe you might have missed Jeff's little joke:

Rich Grise

Howdy!

630: Microphone 631: When a guard walks a beat, he may have a device that records when he gets to each point along the beat. Each station has one of these key-thingys that prints its number along with some sort of time stamp in the device to prove that the guard visited that stop (presumably at around the time he was expected to do so). 632: either some sort of stamping device, or something for handling IC chips 633: looks like it's for scribing a line down the "middle" of a plank or the like. 634: fancy lightning rod? 635: sheet metal gauge?

hmmm...what did everyone else come up with?

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton
634. An art piece.
Reply to
Mark Brader

Nope, I didnt. The Glen Campbell song refers to power lineman. I was a telephone lineman. Only in old movies do they have open wire telephone lines running on poles. (and railways still use em for signalling) And from the answers here, my 635=wire gauge is possibly wrong - it just "looks" identical to the one I have (sans wooden handle)- it measured wire diameter, so you could tell if it was 4lb, 10lb, 20lb etc wire... I was issued it when the phone company went metric, so there was confusion for a while hence the need for a gauge...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA
630 microphone stand 631 watchman key 632 pneumatic IC inserter 633 scribe (not necessarily for centering) 634 art 635 sheet metal gauge

Those are my guesses and I'm sticking to them ... now on to see what everyone else guessed. ;-)

Reply to
replyonline