Re: transparent router guard

Plexiglas shatters - use Lexan or its equivalent.
Bob S.
Plexi can shatter whule Lexan is more appropriate for you use.

DO NOT USE PLEXIGLASS!!!!! Westinghouse used to make street light covers from Lexan and they were .22 bullet proof (for a while anyway); they may still. Lexan is remarkable tough. I have personally seen plexiglass shatter almost as badly as glass. IT IS NOT SHETTER RESISTANT DO NOT USE IT That said, it is your life and the gene pool is probably too full anyway so do what you want.

Hi,
I completed a woodsmith/shopnotes similar project some years ago. Woodsmith offered, at that time, a plexiglass piece bent at 90 degrees and slotted to allow varying height positioning. Works great.
Were I to make my own, I'd consider a wood and plexiglass one. A wood piece mounts vertically and has a plexiglass piece screwed to its bottom.
I cut plexiglass on my tablesaw with a carbide blade. Leave the paper on the plexiglass until after machining. Tiny pieces of plexiglass fly while cutting. It doesn't hurt, but be aware of it. Use necessary protection.
Inexpensive pieces of plexiglass in a variety of sizes are available in the remnants bin at places such as TAP Plastics.
Have fun. Hey...when using the mortiser, be aware of your feed direction. You'll want to get it correct so the router doesn't grab your workpiece!
Steve
C Carruth wrote:

Are there differences in working with Lexan -- cutting, gluing?