Re: Table saws at Lowes

I was just examining a Ridgid table saw -- also in the ~$500 range, at Home Depot, and was quite impressed with it. Along with the ones you mention, it's one I'll be considering when I replace my marginal Ryobi BT-3000 next month. You might want to check it out, look into reviews, etc.
Joe

Cruise over to HD and check out the Ridgid as well.

I have the C10FL and like it. The fence is o.k., has a slot in the top and holes drilled thru the sides. I have the Forrest Woodworker saw blade on it and can cut oak with no bog down. It also has a 15 amp motor, 120 or 240 volts, like the Delta. Only thing is stuf like zero clearance plates are not available for it. Anyone know how come both motors are 15 amp but Delta is 1.5hp and Hitachi is 3hp? I'm not good at that stuff.

Does that saw have an induction motor or a Universal motor?
Darrell

It says induction. http://hitachi.schematic.com/store_item.php?iID%0&arrPath=1,11,4,p250 ,
Tom Veatch <.> wrote:

Not really. They're both subject to marketing hype.

The same condition gives a much higher amperage, too.

Seriously, the amp ratings get as wildly exaggerated as the HP ratings. In fact, in the scenario you suggest, they are deriving the HP rating from the amperage draw at locked rotor condition.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Sure, they pay UL to lie.
They lie.

Have you checked out General or Powermatic? These are made in Canada or USA, respectively. Cabinet saws are better at catching dust.

Go with Delta with the belt drive a replacement motor can be found easily or any motor you have may fit. and the saw will last for many generations.

Any opinions on the Ridgid table saw that Home Depot carries? I gave it a perfunctory look the last time I was there and it seemed like a pretty good value. I particularly liked the fact that it could be set up to run 110/220.
Joe

Wood magazine gave the Ridgid top marks and recommended saw. I bought it on that advice and have been very happy with it. I love the hercule lift system and think it is a well built saw. Given a choice of buying one again, I wouldn't hesitate. The only difference in choice I would make is if I wanted to jump up to a cabinet saw, but that doubles the price or more. Otherwise, an outstanding saw.
- Clayton

Joe Befumo wrote:

At $549 its not bad.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0141790853.1154300577@@@@&BV_EngineIDeiaddihfidimgcgelceffdfgidglm.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID76&N)84+3966&pos=n24
Wow and I paid $350 for a used unisaw. I guess if I saved my pennies I could have gotten the more expensive contractor's saw with less power to boot. But I just couldn't wait.