Re: Softening old wood putty/filler

I am working on a 1965 boat and need to remove screws that are

>covered > with a wood filler from that period.

When working on a "woodie", a 1,500 Watt heat gun and a lot of patience are your friends.

If you estimate the job will take 1 month, it will take 6.

Trust me, been there, done that, but what the heck, you're "working on the boat", you don't punch a clock when it comes to THE boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or the airplane...

Few understand just how much sheet metal there is to wash and wax, much less that you have to do the BOTTOM, too!

Barry Who has never waxed the bottom of his car, but has waxed the bottom of wings, and the stabilator, and the fuselage...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks all for the suggestions. I suspect I'll end up trying everything except the airplane wax...I'll call Barry over when it's time to caulk and paint the bottom of the boat and he can compare that with waxing the bottom of wings and fuselage.

I have two sets of punches for making gaskets (I'm old I forget what I own already) so I may sacrafice one of those as a trial. I'll probably save the heat gun for last since I have successfully "cooked" some wood in the past while being distracted. Of course if I try the heat gun right after trying the acetone I won't have to worry about finishing the job.

But Lew is right, it is a boat, and I made sure they have my stern facing the river so I can go up on the fying bridge with a Bucklers and binoculars and cool off when my fingers get tired. Which reminds me that I'll have to bring my favorite spring tool dental pics along for the fun too.

Thanks once again for the prompt replys and help.

Reply to
jagman