Re: Rough waterstone

On Nov 16, 11:14am, snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

The oil may be a problem, but that's a separate issue. To flatten the stone you don't need another stone, although some people just use the side of a concrete block. Get some wet/dry sandpaper in assorted grits, probably starting around 100 grit, and attach them to a piece of glass or a 12x12 piece of marble/granite tile with some spray adhesive, and then scrub your stone on that while flushing the sand paper liberally with water (like in a sink while you're doing it). Work your way up to the finer grit papers and end up around 220. Give the stone a test sharpening something, and if there's a substantial improvement you'll know if the side of the stone will be salvageable.
On Nov 16, 5:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

That's the main reason for the liberal flushing with water while dressing the stone. I have an old large diamond sharpening plate that I use to dress my stones. I felt bad using it that way at first, but the thing refuses to die. After two or three sharpening sessions I dress the stones. It takes less time to dress them than compared to waiting until they're starting to get wavy, and it keeps them nice and flat which speeds up sharpening. I've done the Scary Sharp thing, but I just enjoy using the Japanese wet stones more.
"Edward A. Falk" wrote:

---------------------------- Check out sandpaper sharpening.
http://tinyurl.com/7ktfwm3
Simple, low cost, it works.