I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's
gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the
water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford to
waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or
membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.
Any ideas appreciated.
Try letting it settle out in a vial and them pouring off the oil. Or sucking
the water out with a hypodermic needle. Many manometers use a silicone oil
for stability. You'd probably have to buy a quart of it though.
Absolutely the best way to get out the water. And to expand on that
notion, do it carefully in a microwave. Most instrument oils are non
polar compounds that are slightly affected or even unaffected by
microwaves, so the water should vaporize nicely. Use a low setting to
avoid too rapid steam formation that could cause spattering.
If you can get the "wet" oil into another container bubble carbon
dioxide through it. If you can get a very small piece of dry ice that
will provide the CO2; perhaps shaking the oil with a bit of dry ice.
Make sure you don't add condensed water from the air because the dry ice
will be cold.
Water dissolves very well in CO2. I've used it often with
microstructures to remove water when filling them with other liquid
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.