Re: Porter Cable ROS

Our shop purchased three of them awhile back. After having used one for probably 7 + years I was very surprised when all three of them crapped out within a few days of each other after only about 5-6 weeks of use. They were replaced (repaired) by PC but in the meantime I acquired a Bosch (with better dust collection) and now won't go back. I think maybe they had a problem in their production run and you got one of them. On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:35:56 GMT, "Paul in MN"

PC was my first round ROS (I bought it to complement the PC 1/4 sheet which served me well for a number of years). It takes alot of practice to make it work...rule #1 is to start it only when in full contact with the wood (otherwise you leave the Circle K brand that is impossible to remove). rule #2 is once it is going, do not apply downward pressure...they don't like it and will simply sit there and make noise (kinda like my SWMBO when I make an insensitive remark...fortunately I've matured and that only happens a few times a day now). I guess it's a design flaw where the shape of the thing seems to invite grabbing the top and pushing down. Don't. I now leave the top alone all together and guide it around by holding the mid-section with as little pressure as possible. It dances at it's supposed to.

was
around
PC.
As i noted before, I ended up getting the DeWalt ROS after deciding that (possibly incorrectly) that the PC was not working as I thought it should be. As it turns out, the floor model that was the only one left at the Borg has a small tear along the seam of the dust bag that streams out dust. As well as that, the whole dust bag assembly tends to vibrate and pop off at the oval/round connector piece, which of course spews a cloud of dust everywhere. Aside from that I am very happy with it. When the cloud of dust settles in the shop I am going to go back out and try to find the piece I was working on. By feeling around through the cloud, it felt very smooth. Maybe I'm not meant to be a random orbital kind of guy.
Cheers,
Paul

found
rotating