Re: Portable sawmill owners question

You could phone them - there is a contact number on the website - or, if you like, I could have SWMBO try to light a fire under somebody's butt (she works there).

--
Regards,
I got a response and have a guy coming out to take a look Friday or Saturday. A real nice country boy who chatted my ear off for about 1/2 hour. I'm looking forward to working with him. He is a bit concerned given that some of the logs have been down since winter and one has been down for maybe a year. I see not rot or anything. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a win win.

The experience that I have had is that trees in yards and along fence rows are the most suspect for metal objects. I use a metal detector to check for nails and such.
Steve
I know for a fact that there is metal in one piece. Trees are in an old campground. When electricity was invented some wires were strung on the trees! There may be spikes, insulators and wire in sections. Who knows. One piece does have a wire poking out.

Steve wrote:

The Maple and Oak that I had sawed this weekend had nails (ruined 2 blades). My FIL has lived there for over 8 years (since shortly after the house was built), and never put any nails in the trees. We suspect that someone had built a deer stand on one, as the nail heads were 2" deep in the tree, and there were quite a few of them.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7