Re: OT: In defense of anonymity

Page 2 of 3

That's not true for a lot of people. All you have to do is look at one of the political threads with a focus on news anchors for a general example.
For me, when Nahmie or David Eisan or Keith or a number of other people I lend a lot more credibility to their posts (pousts, David) than I do to a nameless hit-and-run poster with an alleged email address of snipped-for-privacy@notforme.com whoever that might be.
Same with spelling, if you want to start another debate.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
So you suspend your powers of reason in deference to authority? Or is it just cronyism?
Nope, information on its merits, people on their capacity to learn.
whoever that might be.

Perhaps, but the problem with being anonymous, is that it blurs you in with all the _other_ anonymous people. The credibility hit is real.
And please don't top-post. It makes quoting in context difficult.

Is that any different from being blured in with all the people that post with their full names? I think the credibility hit would be real if the person reading an anonymous post needed instructions to pour you know what out of a boot. That person would probably be suspitious.
Arrogance, by any other name criticizes form not content....

George, my primary message was that you blur into every other anonymous poster by being anonymous. My note about you top-posting is because that also makes your communication less effective. See, I'd like to include what I wrote, so that your response is in context, but it's down at the bottom and unless I manually re-arrange things, it's all upside-down, sideways, and backwards.
In your case, neither the message, _nor_ the messanger, seem to matter.

I'm not too hard to find, if you really want to talk to me, and I really don't give a damn if my personality stands out here on the wreck. I tried using an unmunged address and ruined a perfectly good email address, so I won't do that again.
Only for johny-come-lately's. Go back 8 or 10 years and top posting was the norm. If you are following a thread you tend to remember what was said before and having to constantly scroll down is a pain in the finger (insert an appropriate word to replace 'finger' if you wish) to read replies. Replies within previous responses was always acceptable as it is today.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm thinking some one should learn to get along.

Not at all. Top posting has always been looked down upon in Usenet for the reason of following a discussion. Usenet has been around a lot longer than Microsoft and it was Microsoft who introduced the top posting crap with their poor readers. It has only been since the advent of Microsoft readers that top posting has become the issue that it is today. But then again... trimming has always been a considerate behavior as well. A concept that is lost on a lot of bottom posters these days.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

If people would learn to trim the fluff, top posting wouldn't even be an issue.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
"LRod" wrote in message ...

Bingo! I might also add that, despite all the p*ssing and moaning about MS products over the years, I can't recall *any* reader that jumps to BOF in the display. But I agree with LRod, I get really p*ssed scrolling through a long post in a thread I have already read, which quotes every post, and has a single word or sentence at the bottom. I'd rather top posters any day.
Greg

Yes, 8 or 10 years ago, there were also people obliviously top-posting. Most of 'em figured it out eventually. Obviously, those who were oblivious then, may still be oblivious today.

Every FAQ I've read, today or a dozen years ago, advocated trimming of unneeded message rather than lazily including it at the end.

Is it your perception that because someone posts using an apparently real name they are more credible?
I have no way of know whether your legal name is "Dave Hinz", nor does it affect your credibility.
The *content* of your posts affects your credibility.
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:57:28 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Well, they're certainly more _distinguishable_. snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com looks like snipped-for-privacy@anon.com looks like snipped-for-privacy@home.com and so on. And I would argue that if one anonymous poster can't readily be distinguised from others, that it makes that person harder to identify (recognize, if you will). If you can't recognize someone, it's just "some guy said" quality of advice, rather than "Dave Balderstone said...".

Well, it's David, actually, as I suspect yours is too.

That too.
Dave Hinz
If I told you my name was Leon Redbone or Leon Russel would that make my comments or advice more credible to you?
Could you send me one of your CD's?! Either Leon would be fine. Bruce
Leon wrote:

Sure, they are in the e-mail... LOL

Do you suppose Norm Abrams or Roy Underhill would use their real name if they participated in the wreck? Or are they above all this?
TWS

No, but it decreases the value of the advice from "this person I have dealt with for a while and who seems to be logical", to "some guy calling himself " snipped-for-privacy@dontspammme.com". The thing with the anon identities, is that they've all been used, and they all blur together after a while. It's impossible to build a reputation when you're undifferentiated.