Re: false floor might be solution?

Wade Lippman responds:

> One of our Habitat for Humanity house owners wants to put a bathroom in >his >> basement. We find that there is no p trap in the tub drain and the toilet >> drain is too close to the tub drain. The woodworking link? Should we >build >> a raised false floor or what? Thank you >> >How can you have tub without a trap? That's your first problem

That's what he hopes the raised floor will solve.

Check your distances. I've seen it done, but you might have to raise the floor quite a bit, possibly a full foot. If there's room, that may be fine.

I'm not sure what else you could do: there are power pumps for such situations, but somewhere I got the idea they're very expensive.

Charlie Self

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Greetings ...

Is this just a rough-in only that you are wanting to finish up? Tub traps are installed below the floor (of course) and would be part of setting the tub. No need to raise the floor for that. Can you explain more as to the relationship of the tub and toilet drains? A trap-arm for the tub can be easily extended if there is room.

If the tub is installed and in fact there isn't a trap, have the original plumber fix it or go for their bond.

Thanx kindly,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Lincoln

Set the owner up with a few concrete cutting blades for a skill saw, and show him where to cut,(score, really) then bust it up with a sledge hammer. It isn't all that hard to do, and the results will be worth not having a cobbled job.

The tub drain is usually roughed into a boxed area that is not poured, filled with sand.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans