Re: Blast Gate Actuators

I'm in the process of running 120/240 VAC power as well as low-voltage

> signal wiring to an underfloor grid in the crawlspace under my > workshop. I'm tired of tripping over power cables laying on the floor > (I'm a klutz- I admit it) and decided to go ahead with the low-voltage > signal wires when I took care of the power distribution. The signal > wiring is for a DC control system similar to that designed and > described by Robert Reed in Issue 91 (Feb, 2005) of Woodwork Magazine >
> > That DC control system is designed to sense the current flow and > automatically turn on the DC when a power tool is turned on. (See the > article referenced above for details.) That is all well and good, but > I'm somewhat lazy as well as being klutzy and would like the DC blast > gate to be automatically actuated as well. Of course, that requires > some kind of actuator. > > I'm aware of the EcoGate line of DC products which looks pretty good >
But, the MSRP of $85/4", > $149/5", and $248/6" makes me want to investigate other possibilities. > Especially since I've tried to follow Bill Pentz's advice and used 6" > S&D piping
$248 > per gate has a pretty high shudder factor. I'm perfectly willing to > invest sweat-equity to bring the out-of-pocket expense down to a lower > value.

Had this in the back of my mind, when the blast gate is opened, a window type burglar alarm sensor opens or closes, (haven't thought that far yet) a circut to a relay to start the DC. Window sensors are a few bucks each, relay 25/30$ Close the blast gate, DC shuts down.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Tom,

I installed the low voltage system in my shop some time ago and am very happy with it. I thought Robert Reed was going to do an article on a blast gate opening system and had e-mail correspondence with Woodwork magazine about this. I too think the ecogate system is out of reach for me with 6" blast gates. They posted my e-mail in the letters section to see if there was enough interest in this subject. If there was they thought they might approach Mr. Reed and see if he could design such a system. Maybe if you and others contact the magazine we can get something like this done.

Reply to
Bob Heveri