Re: Advice on becoming "shop-less"

Jason asks:

When I needed space and didn't have enough, I rented a basement from a local business (sub shop, actually). Great spot, except for a 7' ceiling and a hard to deal with door (when you had a 10' board in your hands). Also needed major rewiring...when I moved in, there was a light circuit and that was it. Some guy had wired (open) a coffee pot to the light fixture wires, so that when the switch was on, the coffee pot was too. Yanked that within seconds.
I used that place for 3 years, then moved in with a buddy who already had an overcrowded shop. We're still good friends, but it ain't my fault!
I'd suggest you look around for a similar off-area rental (with good locks, and, unless you've got some experience, decent wiring). Business basements for some types of businesses are not used...check out old buildings (Charlottesville has a lot) with hairdressers or small sandwich shops or similar places above. Hell, even an insurance agent's office might work. Any business that doesn't need extensive basement storage should work.
I'm sure others will have other ideas, too.
Charlie Self
I think we agree, the past is over. George W. Bush
This isn't a solution to your shop problem, but if you are just getting started, how about taking some adult evening education courses? You can both learn and use the machines. Most that I've been to are mainly an excuse to use the machines.
When you say you dont have room what does that mean? Is there a yard where you get a 10X10 Homedepot shed into? Is there one of those storage places where you can rent a storage area.?????
-- Christopher Robbins

Mon, Jul 14, 2003, 9:44am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu (Jason) <snip> doesn't have any room for a shop. <snip>
If they will let you park a travel trailer (camper) you might think about getting a used one. I've seen 20' models, going for as low as $400. Already insulated and wired. Pull out what you don't need in the way of appliances, etc., and sell them. A lot of them have air, or you could add a small window unit. When you move again, you can hook it up and have an instant shop wherever you go, or sell it to someone else needing a small shop or storage.
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
snip of excellent idea Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

That's got to be the cleanest thinking i've heard in quite a while. simple, do-able and inexpensive. Thank you JOAT. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
On 14 Jul 2003 09:44:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu (Jason) wrote:

Rent a one car garage sized storage room. Most storage buildings even have 120 VAC electricity in the alleys, all you need is an extension cord. 240 is out of the question. <G>
People use these places to restore cars, boats, etc... Asking for electricity isn't all that weird.
I've even played in bands that used the two car sized units as rehearsal spaces.
Here in Connecticut, a one car goes for about $100 a month.
Barry
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the tips on finding shop space. Charlie and Barry, I'll definitely look into renting space from a business or from a storage facility in C-ville. Heck, I'll be working at UVA and might even be able to find something on campus.
JOAT, thought your idea about creating a shop on wheels was great. One extra benefit -- if I wind up on the wrong side of a power tool I can hop right in the driver's seat and head to the hospital!
ToolMiser, I'll also look into taking some classes once I'm down there. There's a local community college in town that offers at least one class in cabinet-making that might be good.
Thanks again, everyone.
snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu (Jason) wrote in message

Following our family's move to a new house last fall, I was left without any kind of shop. I'm just now moving in to a new shop and getting re-established. My advice to anyone facing a similar situation is to pack everything very carefully, and catalog the whereabouts of every little tool or part. It's such a pain to sort through stacks of boxes, just to find some needed little item.
Rob