Rational concerns about economic data

Page 1 of 3
Those of us who mock the conspiracy theorists are seen by the same small minds as thinking the current system is perfect. Far be that from the case. This article in the NYT does a pretty good job of discussing concerns about economic data. It even includes a rational discussion of how political pressures likely influence the data.
I'm sure there are those who will say that this article is pro-H-1B, since it doesn't propose calculating the unemployment rate as the number of people with Social Security numbers divided by the number of people with jobs (or one of the other IB suggestions). But for those who can read this article, it does a good job of identifying issues that the intelligent reader needs to be aware of in using these statistics. Those with limited cognitive ability will also find this article interesting, since they will surely find one or two isolated points that they can glom onto out of context.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/11/business/11ECON.html?pagewanted=1
--
Alex

And this relates to rec.woodworking how? -- Ernie ("enquiring minds want to know")

Maybe he's wanting to start a "splinter" group?
Jim
wrote in message:

That would go against my grain. -- Ernie
"Ernie Jurick" wrote in message:

That shouldn't bother you as long as it wasn't your butt - then it would be "end grain."
Jums (ouch - I know)
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net
wrote in message:

Stop it right now - I tell you that we're knot going to stand for this.
"Steve" wrote in message:

Watch it bucko - the last guy that came in here raised the fir on the back of my neck. He was found in his shop face down and resembled dark walnut. Some say he dyed!
Jums

Nah, he just got a good shellacking. Watch it yourself bucko or you might be in for a good ash kicking.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:14:35 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

has never had a shortage of [s]pine!!! even though all of his x's probly got equal amounts.

It's amazing how I've had 3 ex's - each one got a cheek cut - and there were only two at birth! LOL!
Jums

screwed. at least we got kissed once or twice before the screwin started. if she's smiling while walkin down the isle RUN AS FAST AS YER FEET CAN MUSTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if ya look back you'll just get screwed again. george

There ought to be a federal fund that men who have been screwed over by a spouse (and honest to God *didn't* deserve it) should be able to get monthly payments from. And PLEEZE let's not make this a political thread!!!
The first thing my ex's attorney asked her was:
"Has he ever hit you?" She was honest enough to tell her no . . . "he wasn't that kind of man."
"Did he ever threaten you?" "No - I said he wasn't that kind of man."
"Did he keep the family funds out of your reach?" "No - he gave me everything I ever wanted - a new car - new furniture - we were about to buy a new house when I left."
"Why are you wanting a divorce?" "I dunno . . . "
Go figure!
Jums

A farmer walked into an attorney's office wanting to file for divorce. The attorney asked, "May I help you?"
The farmer said, "Yep. I wanna git me one of them dee-vorces."
The attorney asked, "Well, do you have any grounds?"
The farmer replied, "Yep. I got me about a hunnert forty acres o' good bottom land."
The attorney said, "No, you don't understand. Do you have a case?"
The farmer said, "Nope, I don't got a Case, but I got me a nice John Deere."
The attorney said, "No you don't understand, I mean do you have a grudge?"
The farmer said, "Yep, I got a grudge. That's where I park my John Deere."
The attorney said, "No, sir, I mean do you have a suit?"
The farmer said, "Yes, sir, I got me a suit. I wear it to church on Sundays and to funerals."
The exasperated attorney said, "Well, sir, does your wife beat you up or anything?"
The farmer said, "No, sir, we both get up 'round about 4:30."
Finally, the attorney asked, "Okay, let me put it this way. WHY DO YOU WANT A DIVORCE?"
And the farmer replied, "Well, I can never have a meaningful conversation with her!"
-- Ernie

Sorry, couldn'r resist! Nahmie
A judge was interviewing a woman regarding her pending divorce, and asked, "What are the grounds for your divorce?"
She replied, "About four acres and a nice little home in the middle of the property with a stream running by."
"No," he said, "I mean what is the foundation of this case?"
"It is made of concrete, brick and mortar," she responded.
"I mean," he continued, "What are your relations like?"
"I have an aunt and uncle living here in town, and so do my husband's parents."
He said, "Do you have a real grudge?"
"No," she replied, "We have a two-car carport and have never really needed one."
"Please," he tried again, "is there any infidelity in your marriage?"
"Yes, both my son and daughter have stereo sets. We don't necessarily like the music, but the answer to your questions is yes."
"Ma'am, does your husband ever beat you up?"
"Yes," she responded, "about twice a week he gets up earlier than I do."
Finally, in frustration, the judge asked, "Lady, why do you want a divorce?"
"Oh, I don't want a divorce," she replied. "I've never wanted a divorce.
My husband does. He said he can't communicate with me."
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:20:43 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara"

ROFL
Heard a comedian on the radio recently
"I hate divorce, so I'm never going to get married again. I'll just find a woman i cant stand to be in the same room with, and give her a house"
Traves

I figured it wood.
Barry
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:14:09 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara"

that would WHITTLE away at the very HEARTWOOD of our group
Traves

While I apologized in another note for my misposting, seeing the good humored responses made me glad that at least my mispost was to such a punny group.
--
Alex
"alexy" wrote in message:

Hey - who axed you?
Jums
wrote in message:

Oh, I'm sure some sap would appreciate it.... -- Ernie