Rational concerns about economic data

Those of us who mock the conspiracy theorists are seen by the same small minds as thinking the current system is perfect. Far be that from the case. This article in the NYT does a pretty good job of discussing concerns about economic data. It even includes a rational discussion of how political pressures likely influence the data.

I'm sure there are those who will say that this article is pro-H-1B, since it doesn't propose calculating the unemployment rate as the number of people with Social Security numbers divided by the number of people with jobs (or one of the other IB suggestions). But for those who can read this article, it does a good job of identifying issues that the intelligent reader needs to be aware of in using these statistics. Those with limited cognitive ability will also find this article interesting, since they will surely find one or two isolated points that they can glom onto out of context.

alexy

And this relates to rec.woodworking how?

-- Ernie ("enquiring minds want to know")

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Maybe he's wanting to start a "splinter" group?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

That would go against my grain.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

That shouldn't bother you as long as it wasn't your butt - then it would be "end grain."

Jums (ouch - I know)

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Stop it right now - I tell you that we're knot going to stand for this.

Reply to
Steve

Watch it bucko - the last guy that came in here raised the fir on the back of my neck. He was found in his shop face down and resembled dark walnut. Some say he dyed!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:14:09 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

that would WHITTLE away at the very HEARTWOOD of our group

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Nah, he just got a good shellacking. Watch it yourself bucko or you might be in for a good ash kicking.

Reply to
Steve

While I apologized in another note for my misposting, seeing the good humored responses made me glad that at least my mispost was to such a punny group.

Reply to
alexy

Don't you mean you feel you have "limited cognitive ability"?

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:18:57 -0400, alexy Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

apology accepted, at least by me. you know the DRILL, you have to buy pizza and beer for all in the group. rules are rules, and they cannot be PLANER than they are

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Oh, I'm sure some sap would appreciate it....

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Some rules are straight, though, and some are folding. In the latter case it hinges on the length of the rule. Rules will always cause divisions, as a rule.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:39:40 GMT, "Ernie Jurick" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

oh man,,,i gotta sit back and admire this one. . .

admiration over, return to your previously scheduled thread.

Traves *G*

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Hey - who axed you?

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Uh excuse me - rulers are rulers . . . (sheesh - I'm like a baggy pair of boxers - always coverin' yer ass!)

I like the beer because it's less filling . . . . :-)

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:44:23 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

oh what the hell

Tastes great!! and i like the easy opening cans!

Squarefinger

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

now hold it right there a minuit! dont be a sap. we all know jummy has never had a shortage of [s]pine!!! even though all of his x's probly got equal amounts.

george

Reply to
george

tastes great! :-}