Rain keeps damaging woodstocks.

Page 1 of 2
My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have storage because our shed is 80-percent full. Today, a bad storm passes thru our neighborhood and destroys many of my MDF boards, which were temporarily covered with a silver tarp.
The woods were relocated far away from the protection of the house when a couple of black widows were found on the boards. I have a large roll of thin, clear plastic wrap that I will use to wrap the ones I salvage. What is common way to protect our wood stocks from rain?
Thanks

Use the other 20% of the shed.

Hard to believe some of the questions here

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in the shed or the shed is 81-percent full. Also, the wood rack in question must look practical and holdup to a downpour.
Tim Zimmerman Feb 19, 1:18 am show options
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
author Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:18:31 GMT Local: Sat, Feb 19 2005 1:18 am

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in the shed or the shed is 81-percent full. Also, the wood rack in question must look practical and holdup to a downpour. "
Look practical? I use 90% of a shed to hold my drying wood, though the fragile stuff (MDF, particleboard, hardwood plywood, fully dried hardwood--mostly) is in the shop. My wife uses the other 10%. Sometimes we get mice in the stacks. Sometimes we get blacksnakes chasing the mice. Other times, there are spiders all over the place. My wife hates snakes--fears is more accurate--so stays out of the shed if there's a snake or six around. Otherwise, there's not much problem.
Spiders don't hurt anything and they tend to keep the insect population closer to reasonable. Squash the ones you think are aggressive.
For a practical looking shed, I suggest getting one of the 20' x 20' metal car ports. You can get 2' added to each leg for about $200 more, and it's easy to screw on metal or wood siding to keep blowing winds out. You need to be inventive at the ends, but those can be readily enclosed, too.

Live within your means or get another shed. The answer seems simple.

Purchase only for immediate needs. That's more expensive for the project, but should keep the wife more appeased - which is less expensive, in the long run.
By the way, indoor (garage) storage of wood is also prime spider habitat.
Patriarch

So your very best course is to educate your wife to like or at least tolerate the interesting and useful creatures that keep the number of flies down.

It's difficult to try to tell someone that a black widow spider won't kill them, especially when it might. No, the bite of a black widow isn't instantly fatal, but it it can be fatal to those with impaired immune systems, the young, the elderly and the infirm.
Note that the original poster posted from Bezerkely Ca. where plenty of black widow spiders are resident.
scott

Brother of the guy with the out door butcher block . ;~)
Tim Zimmerman wrote:
<snip>

Start with some concrete blocks that are in contact with the ground.
Span the concrete blocks at 4 ft intervals with sistered 2x4s.
(You can cut pressure treated 2x4x96 lumber cut in half and nailed together)
Lay boards on sistered 2x4s.
Stick each layer as required.
Cover with silver tarp and weight down with more concrete blocks making sure that you allow air to flow thru the lumber.
Get a beer and praise your work.
HTH
Lew

I store wood anywhere I'm sure it will stay dry. The garage, basement, etc. The problem with storing outdoors is the animals using it as a home. Tar paper, fiberglass, metal roofing are helpful. We have black widows here too, including red wasps, hornets, skunks, possums, groundhogs, copperheads, and lots of birds all looking for shelter. Follow this rule: look before placing your hand. Black widows' nests are easily recognized by the messy webs they build--beautiful spider though.

That will only cause the destruction of your remaining stock. Plastic traps moisture. You won't even need a rain storm to create water inside the plastic wrap. In answer to your question - the common way is inside storage of some sort. Even a semi-open shed that keeps the rain/snow off is better than nothing as long as the wood is stickered. The bottom line though is that you can't let the water get to the wood. If your wife's fear of spiders and such is the order of the day, then you either need to build another shed for woodworking or give up the hobby.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Leave them in the timberyard until you need them.
There's no way to store MDF that involves "rain" or "tarpaulins"
Tim Zimmerman wrote:

Don't store fake wood outdoors. Black Widows don't eat much wood, what's the problem? If you're worried about them, bug bomb the place a couple of times, a week apart, before you start unpiling the wood. Outside is outside, that's where the critters live. Frankly, I'd be more worried about Mojaves and western Diamondbacks out where you are. I've killed a ton of spiders, and got one dry rattler bite. I like snakes not spiders but the snakebite scared me more.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Buy spyder killer,use it often, mix at twice the recomended strengh, damn shame the feds took away our DDT. spray your whole yard too they are sneaky little bastards.
What is common way to protect

A roof.

I keep mine under cover where they don't get rained on.
It's a crazy idea, but it just might work!
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Please, describe this "plastic"?

Wellllll, I dunno. Have you thought of sending this little tiplet to 'Murican Wooddorker? I mean, being Canadianna and all, will they accept it as is or is there a conversion we can use this side of the border?
UA100