Question for Dewalt 735 owners

Hi,

One last question about the practical differences between the 734 and

735: do you find the two speeds of the 735 to be needed/useful? I saw one magazine review where they thought the normal speed yielded great results, and that the "finish" speed wasn't really needed. Has this been your experience? Also, is the chip fan an effective addition, or would a vacuum alone do the job, IYHO?

Thanks!

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Yes, a couple reasons:

1) DeWalt says the 179 CPI speed makes the motor work less and the blades last longer. Based on my own experience, this is true. It takes longer to process a piece, though. The slower speed (179 CPI) also gets better results than the faster (96 CPI) speed.

There is no chip fan addition. It comes with the fan already. There might be other dust control accessories that are optional, though.

I have not purchased any accessories for my DW735 yet. It comes with everything you need.

Reply to
gabriel

LOL, I forgot to label reason #2!! :

2) The slower speed (179 CPI) also gets better results than the faster (96 CPI) speed.
Reply to
gabriel

Scott,

The finish speed produces an amazing finish. I dimension on the slower speed and make the final passes on the finishing speed, and would say that it is noticeably smoother. Not a jaw dropping difference, but if you were to tell me you couldn't detect a difference then you aren't looking very closely. I don't always sand the finished pieces, depending mainly on roller indentations. I've only owned my 735 for about a month now, so can't comment on blade longevity quite yet.

The chip fan is incredible. It does a great job. And if you don't have a vacuum attached when you operate the planer, you will wind up with wood chips all over the shop.

And aside from the practical differences between the 734 and 735, the build quality is night and day. The 734 is more in the mold of the Delta planers, while the 735 is just a tank.

FWIW.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

dammit!@ I'm gonna go out in my shop in a minute and "accidentally" knock over my 733 so I can get a 735! :) (Too bad it's on a stable base...I'm gonna need a really good story to explain to SWMBO just HOW I managed to knock it over...)

dave

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

LOL! This is all a huge plan to make you buy a 735 and see what happens!

Reply to
gabriel

C'mon - do like I did with my '92 Saturn POS. Park it in a "appropriate" neighborhood, with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition.

Hope you have better luck than I did!

Reply to
mttt

Lie ! Tell her your blades are warn out and new ones cost as much as a = new model. Puff " I never lie to my wife" Griffis

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Scott wrote: I saw one magazine review where they thought the normal speed yielded great results, and that the "finish" speed wasn't really needed. Has this been your experience?

Actually I find it to be the other way around. All I've used is the finish speed.

Reply to
mel

I just bought a 735 and haven't needed the finish speed yet. The dimensioning speed is nice and smooth. The bad side was I took my wife with me when I bought it. Bad mistake, now I am in the dog house. That is until I make my first project.

Reply to
Roger

Thanks for the input: sounds like some 735 owners are glad they didn't buy the 734. And it sounds like at least one 733 owner wished he didn't buy the 733!

According to Dewalt's web site, the 734 and 735 have the same motor and the same cutters. So, I wonder why the Woodcraft guy told me the

735 is WAY louder than any other planer, claiming it is due to the bigger motor. And the magazine review they have taped next to the display model says they were pleased with the normal speed, and the slow speed seemed an unneccesary feat of engineering.

Putting 2 and 3 together, it seemed the only real difference I would get for the extra $100 was the chip fan, something I may not need since I would have a vaucuum hose hooked up anyways???? I recognize the 735 is bigger, but I read somewhere that size doesn't matter . . .

:O

Reply to
Scott

Ahrrg! Too many valid, and contradictory, opinions!

I stopped by Woodcraft during lunch today and chatted with one of the sales guys. He has the 733 and thinks the finished result is very good; seldom has to sand anything. And if he does, he has the Performax 10-20 sander (which I also plan to buy). We both agreed that since the 734 is even better than the 733, that I should be thrilled with it, and could put the $100 saved (by not buying the 735) towards the sander. Furthermore, while there I saw a Fine Woodworking tool review that claimed the 733 to be the "Readers Choice" of all reviewed planers (the 734/735 were not included). The review said nearly all the planers reviewed gave nice results, and little or no snipe.

I think I'll ask an easier, and less subjective question: what's the best color?

;>)

Reply to
Scott